hot water in cold line

Sine the self-install of a short 40 gallon gas water tank.... Everytime I use the cold water in the house, every faucet, I get about

15-20 seconds of hot water. It starts off cold, then warm/hot, then cold. This happens during winter and summer, so I can rule out the furnace warming the pipes.

The copper pipes go directly to the water tank... could I be missing a backflow valve? or something in that effect? The water lines are not touching, nor are they touching the exhaust.

Thanks for any advice.

r3rjr

Reply to
r3rjr

Often, thermal expansion will push hot water out of the tank, into the cold supply pipe. Then, drawing water from the cold pipe for a fixture will introduce that heated water. Most noticeable if the water heater only has a short drop off the main Cold line.

There are special nipples to be installed on the heater inlet/outlet. They are called "Heat Trap" nipples and have a small ball check restrictor built in. Maybe the old tank had them.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Do you have a recirc pump that keeps hot water available for immediate use at faucets far from the heater (upstairs, etc.)? If so it could be pushing hot water through a leaky single stem faucet.

Reply to
Kevin S.