Hot Water Heater won't go back on

I had to turn the gas off in the house to do something. I now cannot get my hot water heater to go back on. It has a pilot button. I thought if I pressed the pilot button it would go on. It doesn't. Am I suppose to do something else... PLEASE HELP! Thanks Rich
Rich wrote:

The PILOT button allows you to light the pilot (with a long match). After the pilot flame lights, hold the button for 1 minute, then release it. If the pilot stays on, you can move the gas control to the ON position.
If the pilot won't light, there may be air in the lines from the work done. Just hold the PILOT button for as long as needed to get the air out.
Jim