Hot water heater runoff in backyard

I noticed this morning that I have a stream of water coming from a tube on the outside of my house running out to my back yard. I know that it can't the air conditioner because I don't have it turned on yet. I looks to be comming from the hot water heater outlet. Is it normal for this to be occuring?
TIA
No, it's not normal. Most likely it is the safety pop-off valve. You might try working the handle up and down a few times to see if you can get it unstuck if that is the problem. Otherwise it will need to be replaced. Could also be the thermostat. My guess would be the valve.

Dick wrote:

Is this something that an layman can replace himself with a wrench and pipe tape?
Nope. Tank is leaking or pressure valve opened which means it it overheating. Needs to be investigated immediately.

david wrote:

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com /
--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten
My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked. It is price