Hot water heater running out of water

Page 2 of 2
Jay

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The "leak" is actually a shunt between the hot and the cold pipes. In a single handle faucet when the handle is off, if the cartridge is worn it is possible for hot water which has higher water pressure to flow through the faucet and then out the cold water pipe if you use municipal water. There is no external leak for you to see. turn off one faucet at the undersink shutoff valves (hot and cold) tonight. Does that fix the problem for the morning's shower? Do the same for all the faucets and hopefully you'll find a culpit.
Dave M.

The Dip tube isn't installed by default?? You gotta be kidding me... That would do it....

Can anyone tell me if a GAS hot water heater has (or is supposed to have) this drip tube as welll!???

My gas heater heater had a dip tube that decomposed.
Can anyone tell me if a GAS hot water heater has (or is supposed to have) this drip tube as welll!???
Gas hot water heaters have dip tubes as well.
Bob M. wrote:

Yes, they do.
Some info here: http://www.thehomeinspector.com/Clients/DipTube2.html
and http://www.masterplumber.net/Electricwh/dip_tube.htm
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/hotwater.html
Yes. Every gas WH I've installed (four or five of them) came with a dip tube when purchased.
--

Christopher A. Young
.

< snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message

normally its installed at the factory HOWEVER a buddy of mine had a similar trouble............ one likely cause of this problem you should NEVER sweat a pipe installed in a tank! or the dip tube will melt and fall to the bottom. OP may have soldered pipe on tank, stressed it bad, a few days later it broke off..........
It is common procedure to sweat a male adaptor to copper pipe. About six inch long piece. Let the pipe section and male adaptor cool. Thread the newly created pipe with threads into the WH fitting. Use both teflon tape, and Rectorseal, to seal the threads.
Make the last sweat fitting at the end of the six inch pipe, which is away from the WH. Use a roll stop coupler if you don't figure to be doing this very often. Copper union if you think you might need another WH and want the convenience of easy disassembly.
--

Christopher A. Young
.

< snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
Not usually installed at the factory? Huh? I thought WH always came with a dip tube?
They do break, though.
--

Christopher A. Young
.

"Bob M." < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com> wrote in message

Missed that, only read this far: "We figured that since the water heater was somewhat old (2000)..."
(giving head a shake)
When you run out of hot water at the shower, is the water also cold at the bathroom and kitchen sinks?
On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 16:18:37 -0800 (PST), Jay

Plumbed in backwards, or dip tube failure.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus