Hot water heater running out of water

The GF has a similar problem on a gas water tank. Now - I looked on the web, but did not see (or could not find) any picture of what this dip tube looks like or how to replace it if it is broken.

Would anyone have a link to this type of information by any chance?

thanks.

Reply to
BSAKing

In article , " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" wrote: [...]

Your Google-fu is weak:

Grandpa

Here you go:

The dip tube is on the cold water inlet and carries the cold water to the bottom of the tank. As the water is heated, it rises to the top of the tank where it is taken out by the hot out to the fixtures. If the dip tube is broken or missing, cold water will be drawn out of the supply side before it has time to be heated.

It is kind of like locating an airconditioning register too close to a return.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Got off the phone with the Rheem tech support, looks like the thermostat is bad... the upper/lower element were only showing 1 volt AC... sending a new one out

Reply to
Jay

Dave, If I had a leak in a single handle faucet wouldn't I be seeing what under sinks, etc? Where can I look for this? Thanks, Jay

Reply to
Jay

Can anyone tell me if a GAS hot water heater has (or is supposed to have) this drip tube as welll!???

Gas hot water heaters have dip tubes as well.

Reply to
Bob M.

Yes, they do.

Some info here:

and

Speedy Jim

Jay

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The "leak" is actually a shunt between the hot and the cold pipes. In a single handle faucet when the handle is off, if the cartridge is worn it is possible for hot water which has higher water pressure to flow through the faucet and then out the cold water pipe if you use municipal water. There is no external leak for you to see. turn off one faucet at the undersink shutoff valves (hot and cold) tonight. Does that fix the problem for the morning's shower? Do the same for all the faucets and hopefully you'll find a culpit.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Send someone to the cellar, and see if the hot pipe off the WH is actually hot, when the shower gets cold? That could tell if it's a WH problem or a mixer problem.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not usually installed at the factory? Huh? I thought WH always came with a dip tube?

They do break, though.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes. Every gas WH I've installed (four or five of them) came with a dip tube when purchased.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It is common procedure to sweat a male adaptor to copper pipe. About six inch long piece. Let the pipe section and male adaptor cool. Thread the newly created pipe with threads into the WH fitting. Use both teflon tape, and Rectorseal, to seal the threads.

Make the last sweat fitting at the end of the six inch pipe, which is away from the WH. Use a roll stop coupler if you don't figure to be doing this very often. Copper union if you think you might need another WH and want the convenience of easy disassembly.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Plumbed in backwards, or dip tube failure.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon