Hot water heater problem

My hot gas hot water heater has been dripping from the external copper pipe that runs from near the top of the heater to 3/4 of the way down. I put a little bucket to catch the water. What is causing this? It's never happened before that I'm aware of. TIA

That is a temperature/pressure relief valve. If it does not reseat when you test it by pulling on its lever, it sounds like you may need a new one.
--
David Efflandt - All spam ignored http://www.de-srv.com /
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/ http://www.berniesfloral.net /
On 24 Jul 2003 03:20:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Rennyboy) wrote: