Hot water heater problem

My hot gas hot water heater has been dripping from the external copper pipe that runs from near the top of the heater to 3/4 of the way down. I put a little bucket to catch the water. What is causing this? It's never happened before that I'm aware of. TIA

Reply to
Rennyboy

That is a temperature/pressure relief valve. If it does not reseat when you test it by pulling on its lever, it sounds like you may need a new one.

Reply to
David Efflandt

jim ___ Have a home upkeep question? Try my help page. It's sort of an alt.home.repair FAQ.

jim evans

Do a search on T&P valve. This question comes up weekly.

However, "hot gas hot water heater" is a new one.

Reply to
Wade Lippman