Hot water heater problem.

Hi guys, My hot water heater popped its reset button. I reset the button and now it works fine. New problem, When I try to unscrew the cover plate for the top thermostat I'm getting sparks from the screwdriver to the screw. What the hell is going on? Loose connection?
Assuming this is not a troll (who knows?):
You've a large voltage difference where there should be none.
Life-threatening. You _must_ have felt a tingle.
I'd open the breaker, and not run heater again until properly repaired by plumber/electrician.
You really don't want to go randomly punching resets on such high-power devices.
TTFN, J

Sound like one of the wires insulation is shorting. (worn out/pinched)
FIRST, ....shut off the power before you go near it with a screwdriver. most water heater are 220-240 and can easily knock you on your posterior, especially if it's on a nice damp concrete basement floor