Hot Water Heater Help

I'm helping my son with the hot water heater in his home. It's an older home probably circa 1925. The heating elements, high temperature limit switch and thermostat have all been replaced. There was a problem with the fuse box which we replaced with a used one. When every thing was connected and the power turned on we had hot water for a short time. Where do we go from here since every thing else looks good.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
jimco

I'm helping my son with the hot water heater in his home. It's an older home, probably circa 1925. The elements, high limit switch and thermostat have been replaced. We had some problems with the fuse box and put a used fuse box in. When every thing was connected we had hot water for a short time. The fuses and every thing on the hot water heater check out. Where do we go from here.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
jimco

Reply to
barbarow

You go back and check the basics.

1) Is the WH getting 220 VAC? 2) Are both sides of the double fuse supplying power? 3) Are the connections tight in the fuse box? 4) if it's a push in cartridge fuse, perhaps put some noalox on the tabs for the fuse 5) Are the sequencers supplying power to the elements? 6) Do the elements have continuity?
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Did you fill the tank and purge BEFORE you turned it on?

Checking voltage is a good place to start. Reading the current draw is the way I find out if the elements are working.

How high is the t-stat set?

Reply to
SQLit