hot water heater blow off valve

i have a new tank and would like to run any eventual output from the valve into my sump pump (about a 7' run).
the valve's got a 3/4 female end. i'd like to use pex, but i don't have a tool, nor the fittings.
i have a suitable piece of 1/2" pex. i know the pex should go around a connector and would be help in place with a ring that is pushed into place.
can i get away with stepping down the 3/4 to a 3/8" barrel which i'd insert into the 1/2 pex and hold in place with a hose connector? i don't think the output will be under severe pressure, and this is a simple solution.
thots? thanks

You do not want to restrict the outlet. Safety devices are sized the way they are for a reason; to take away the overload with no restrictions.
Since this is a blow-off, not a continuous use line, PVC would work as well. Hell, I'd probably just run a garden hose for what you are doing.
i think the water's too hot for a garden hose. are their fitting for threaded pipe to pvc?

Technically, you are correct. But in reality, it takes but a few seconds for a blow off. It is not a supply line, there is no pressure buildup, and the hose is not going to melt in 30 seconds. It is merely a diversion rather than have the water hit the floor as would happen in hundreds of thousands of households.
Yes, there are the PVC adapters.
hoops wrote:

Don't you use a garden hose to DRAIN the water heater? Have I been abusing my hose all these years? What will the cops do if they find out?
The code here (which I believe is typical in U.S.) is the T&P pipe must be the same size & material as the supply line, FWIW.

Craven Morehead wrote:

you can just put a larger pipe under it with an air gap in a funnel like fashion to catch the water from the blow off valve ....this eliminates any chance of a restriction blocking the saftey blow off...
Mark
hoops wrote:

Just use pvc and glue it together. cheap and easy.
Lawrence wrote:

Yep, that is what I did. Makes a very neat installation. I did use CPVC though but that is overkill unless an inspector gets his panties in a wad seeing PVC on hot water lines.
Harry K

Keep in mind that if the valve performs its intended safety function, to prevent rupture of the tank when the heating system fails to turn off, there could be a lot of very hot water and steam blowing out of it at pretty high pressure. A large, rigid, well secured line is kinda nice to have and is required by some codes.
Don Young
Don Young