Hot water heater AND shutoff valve both leaking

I own a condominium that has an electric hot water heater.
The heater started leaking out the bottom, so I turned off the electrical power and shut off the water to the heater. Unfortunately, that caused the shutoff valve to start leaking too. The shutoff valve is located on the pipe just above the heater, so the shutoff valve is now dripping water onto the top of the heater.
Until I can get a plumber to sort all this out, are there any other steps I should take?
-- Steven L.
If you can find the main shutoff, if not put something under the valve and empty as necessary........oh and have a Merry Christmas <G>

David Babcock wrote:

I was more concerned about a safety problem due to the electrical power cable that runs from the wall into the heater. I shut off the wall switch and I also shut off the line from the circuit breaker, but I don't know anything about electrician stuff and I was still worried.
These condos were NOT built with a main shutoff water valve inside the units. When a valve (like the shutoff valve to the toilet) has leaked, it has been necessary to shut off the water to all the condo units on that side of the building in order to repair it.
-- Steven L.
Steven Litvintchouk wrote:

Not exactly what you have, but this pic should help: http://www.prier.com/Partsfinder/C-138/C-138STpacking.htm
Tighten the smaller nut under the handle. That should stop the leak.
Jim

close the valve about 1/2 way and than heed the advice given above...dont get wild ass macho man tightening the packing nut just a limp wrist 1/4 turn will normally do the job
but what do I know only 30 yrs playing plumber
Merry Christmas to all
Vic Plank Lancaster PA
POPPYPLANK wrote:

Thanks, guys, that's what I was looking for.
-- Steven L.

And then do yourself a favor and have a new, good quality full-flow ball valve installed in its place.
First, their isn't anything to sort out. You need to replace the shutoff valve (heater inlet valve) and the water heater. You might contain the leak from the valve for awhile, but if you do nothing else, you should have a plumber turn off the main and replace the valve.
Steven Litvintchouk wrote:

Wrap a towel around the cold water inlet pipe.
Under the handle of the faucet, there is often a six sided nut which can be (Gently!) tightened with a wrench. Commonly called a packing nut.
--
Christopher A. Young
Join Alt-Hvac Moderated