Hot Water Heater

Out gas fired hot water heater has started making loud popping noises when the flame is on. It still seems to work fine otherwise. Does anyone have experience with this. Is it anything to be concerned about? Thanks
Add pictures here
βœ–
Andrew Taylor wrote:

It's just bubbles of hot water "exploding" into steam on the bottom of the heater shell where the flame hits. Occurs on heaters which have not been periodically drained/flushed to prevent mineral buildup.
http://groups.google.com / Do an Advanced search on this ng for " draining water heater" or similar. Been discussed ad nauseum.
On an old heater, the minerals are solidified and won't drain out though.
Jim
Add pictures here
βœ–
'It's just bubbles of hot water "exploding" into steam on the bottom of the heater shell where the flame hits.'
What youve described , is, condensation that forms when you run the water heater under high demand (cool water inside the tank being heated) This makes more of a 'sisssssssss- ing ' sound than a pop ; if the popping noise occurs ALL the time the water heater is firing (even during a normal cycle of low demand...), then, its sediment in the tank instead of condensation on the outside of the tank. As a safety precaution, id replace a gas water heater at 15 years maximum ..and less , if its located in an area that will cause major damage when it eventually leaks..
Add pictures here
βœ–

This is Turtle.
Yes I can see your point there about the sissssssssss- ing sound than a pop noise. Cold water boils faster than hot water and will make a boiling noise when heating up. Now you need to send this endless void of Knownledge to all the hot water tank companys for them to try to stop this condition. I do you suggest about getting rebate on your next hot water tank change out for suppling them with this endless void of knownledge.
TURTLE
Add pictures here
βœ–
What youve described , is, condensation that forms when you run the water heater under high demand (cool water inside the tank being heated)   This makes more of a 'sisssssssss- ing ' sound than a pop ; if the popping noise occurs ALL the time the water heater is firing (even during a normal cycle of low demand...), then, its sediment in the tank instead of condensation on the outside of the tank. As a safety precaution, id replace a gas water heater at 15 years maximum ..and less , if its located in an area that will cause major damage when it eventually leaks.. 'This is Turtle. Yes I can see your point there about the sissssssssss- ing sound than a pop noise. Cold water boils faster than hot water and will make a boiling noise when heating up. Now you need to send this endless void of Knownledge to all the hot water tank companys for them to try to stop this condition. I do you suggest about getting rebate on your next hot water tank change out for suppling them with this endless void of knownledge. TURTLE '
ME: The water heater manufacturers are already familiar with condensation occuring during high demand because they put it in their owners manual that ships with the tank. The knowledge i imparted was for the benefit of the OP which is what a NG is for. How about if you and I have a truce Turtle ? Shall we work toward this end ? Im willing.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Aw, how sweet. Who kisses who first?
Add pictures here
βœ–

This is Turtle.
Dave likes men and not Turtles. You kiss him.
TURTLE
Add pictures here
βœ–

This is Turtle.
Jim , I'm not a Hot Water fellow but when you say scale building up on the inside of the tank and then when heating up and makes the popping sound the sound is the water flashing to steam . Is this water flashing to steam inside the tank or on the outside of the tank where the flames hit the tank burner area ?
TURTLE
Add pictures here
βœ–
TURTLE wrote:

See: http://www.handymanjim.com/f.htm
Jim
Add pictures here
βœ–

This is Turtle.
Hey that was a very imformitive site on these simple subjects. Nice job there.
TURTLE
Add pictures here
βœ–

I had the popping sound on my gas water heater. It's a sign of sentiment on the bottom of the tank. My new one doesn't do this.
Add pictures here
βœ–
You are loosing alot of efficiency due to scale build up from lack of maintenance, flushing. I had a tank replaced , we opend it up and found 12" of sediment inside. How old is it it may be time to consider a new one. You can try flushing it but it is probably so clogged if it is old that you will never gat it clean. Unless flushed regularly tanks can loose efficiency every year due to scale buildup
Add pictures here
βœ–
As I recall, there was a promotion some years back, where a manufacturer put popcorn in the bottom of one water heater. The people that ended up with it would win $1 Million, but no one ever claimed the prize.
There should be a door at the bottom of the heater, open it up and see if there is any popcorn laying there - if so, you could be a millionaire.
Add pictures here
βœ–
'Out gas fired hot water heater has started making loud popping noises when the flame is on. It still seems to work fine otherwise. Does anyone have experience with this. Is it anything to be concerned about? Thanks'
It is nearing the end of its life. The popping is the heat having to go thru the sediment that has accumulated at the bottom of the tank, inside, and that makes the underneath of the tank run even hotter. I would give serious thought to a new tank soon before the bottom seam gives way, and you have much more than a puddle on the floor.
Add pictures here
βœ–

True. But, there is no teling what theose pesky little electrons may have done. I've seen it before where the reset tripped when power was turned back on....
Add pictures here
βœ–
no such thing as a hot water heater. You do not heat hot waster, but you do heat water with a water heater

True. But, there is no teling what theose pesky little electrons may have done. I've seen it before where the reset tripped when power was turned back on....
Add pictures here
βœ–

hey dufus, that joke was old 20 years ago when George Carlin popularized it!
Add pictures here
βœ–