hot water heater

Page 2 of 2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------020904050504030506090108 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Jud McCranie wrote:

AC amps: 20-200-1000A
(Ya just gotta learn how to be more observent , Jud. <G>)
The "jaws" open to encircle a wire carrying ac current and the magnetic field created by that current is conducted by the jaws (which are iron) to a coil inside the meter, from whence a measurement is extracted, without need to physically cut into the wire you're measuring the current in.
Jeff
--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 13:41:48 -0500, Jeff Wisnia

I''m going to order one. Does one set of leads come with it, or do you have to order them seperately?
Replace you know what by j to email
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------050702070708020300020604 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Jud McCranie wrote:

at Harbor Freight. The fourth line of that page reads:
"Includes double-insulated leads"
(Might be you need to avail yourself of one of my wife's businesses....:<G>)
http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/wkrp/index.htm
Jeff
-
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
--------------050702070708020300020604 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
--------------050702070708020300020604--
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:26:28 -0500, Jeff Wisnia

No, same page, my failure to read all of the details again.
Thanks for all of the help.
Replace you know what by j to email
I got an ammeter from Harbor Fright a couple years back. Came with a set of leads. Digital readout. Cost me about $15, if memory serves. I'm sure it's not a test insturment, but it's good enough for most work.
--

Christopher A. Young
Join Alt-Hvac Moderated
Jud McCranie wrote:

Jud: I have the digital clamp meter. The clamp part work on just AC to measure amps. You can measure D.C. volts with the included test leads, but it won't measure low voltages very acurately. For more accurate measurment of AC and DC volts and resistance you could get the P30756 digital meter which sells on sale for $3.99. I find that I use the latter frequently for all sorts of things such as checking batteries, house voltage, continuity, etc. I don't have much use for the clamp meter except in checking motor current. Note also, you put the clamp around just one lead, so you can't measure current in a cable with two leads or a normal extension cord. I bought a short extension cord and then removed a section of the outer insulation so I could separate the leads for measuring the current draw of various appliances.
BTW, you don't need anything more fancy that a test light to find the problem in a water heater.
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 23:09:04 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"

I have a decent meter with leads for that.

I hadn't thought about that, but yes it makes sense. Thank you. Replace you know what by j to email
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:15:54 -0500, Jeff Wisnia

Shipping and handling is almost $10, though, and that is by a slow method. :-(
Replace you know what by j to email
Free shipping if order over fifty bucks.
--

Christopher A. Young
Join Alt-Hvac Moderated
Stormin Mormon wrote:

lunch, is there?)
Jeff
--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:16:49 -0500, Jud McCranie

I replaced both heating elements and we have hot water again! Thanks to everyone who helped.
Replace you know what by j to email

If you already have hot water, why do you need a heater? ;-)

I'm not sure what you mean.
"Tonight our electric hot water heater was giving no hot water at all"
Replace you know what by j to email

You said, you have a hot water heater..
There is no such thing.
There is a water heater that heats colder water to hot....but why would you want to heat already hot water, IE, a hot water heater?

CB maybe you had a hard day but people still refer refigators as ICE Boxes ,,, I do , remove " Hot" from water heater and we live . Right ? Tomaetoe or tomaa toe

Umm..yea...but its a trade joke, since you wont hear plumbers talking about HOT water heaters...water heaters, yes...not hot water heaters...when you hear that at a supply store, the old timers always ask why you need to reheat already hot water...
*CBHVAC* wrote:

Jeff
--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:25:10 -0500, "*CBHVAC*"

OK, "hot" is redundant. But I did a search, and they are often called "hot water heaters" by people other than me.
Replace you know what by j to email