Hot Water Heater?

When someone uses the term "hot water heater" on this NG, oftensomeone else jumps in to ask, "Why would you want to heat HOT water?"
I noticed that Arlo felt that way in 1993:
http://arloandjanis.com/wise%20cracks.htm
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 11:09:09 -0400, jeff_wisnia wrote:

Obviously it's to distinguish from a cold water heater, which is one that hasn't been properly fitted yet or is broken, or a warm water heater that partially works.

My neighbor pointed out that his heater heats *hot* water. Mine is set at 120degrees and I call the water that comes out "Hot". His is set at 140. So he takes 120 degree water and continues to heat it to 140.
Jim

Ummm................to KEEP the hot water hot?????????????????
jeff_wisnia wrote:

A hot water heater is a boiler.
TDD
jeff_wisnia wrote:

yes, and it's NOT a pin number or a nic card either. but you hear those terms constantly.
Steve Barker wrote:

You left out "ATM machine".
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
jeff_wisnia wrote:

And VIN.
On 10/22/2009 3:06 PM HeyBub spake thus:

You meant "VIN number", of course.

David Nebenzahl wrote:

No, I meant VI-Number (pronounced "Vee-Number")
HIV virus
HeyBub wrote:

Al Smith wrote:

Wife to programmer husband: "Go to the market and get a pound of butter. If the eggs are fresh, bring back a dozen."
(later)
Wife: "Why did you buy twelve pounds of butter!"
jeff_wisnia wrote:

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 21:39:13 -0500, Steve Barker

More redundancies:
AC current DC current DVR recorder HIV virus ISP provider CD disk VIN number VCR recorder

Right. I assume this comes from mixing the two names for what is most often the same thing; "hot water storage tank", and "water heater".