Hot Water Heater?

When someone uses the term "hot water heater" on this NG, oftensomeone else jumps in to ask, "Why would you want to heat HOT water?"

I noticed that Arlo felt that way in 1993:

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

Obviously it's to distinguish from a cold water heater, which is one that hasn't been properly fitted yet or is broken, or a warm water heater that partially works.

Reply to
Jules

My neighbor pointed out that his heater heats *hot* water. Mine is set at 120degrees and I call the water that comes out "Hot". His is set at 140. So he takes 120 degree water and continues to heat it to 140.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Ummm................to KEEP the hot water hot?????????????????

Reply to
Steve N.

A hot water heater is a boiler.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

yes, and it's NOT a pin number or a nic card either. but you hear those terms constantly.

Reply to
Steve Barker

You left out "ATM machine".

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

And VIN.

Reply to
HeyBub

On 10/22/2009 3:06 PM HeyBub spake thus:

You meant "VIN number", of course.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Right. I assume this comes from mixing the two names for what is most often the same thing; "hot water storage tank", and "water heater".

Reply to
Lefty

No, I meant VI-Number (pronounced "Vee-Number")

Reply to
HeyBub

Reply to
Al Smith

Wife to programmer husband: "Go to the market and get a pound of butter. If the eggs are fresh, bring back a dozen."

(later)

Wife: "Why did you buy twelve pounds of butter!"

Reply to
HeyBub

I knew there was another... Couldn't think of it. LOL!

Reply to
Steve Barker

More redundancies:

AC current DC current DVR recorder HIV virus ISP provider CD disk VIN number VCR recorder

Reply to
Gary H