Hot water

If my boiler water is 200 degrees isn't my domestic water off the coil also 200 degrees? I've seen hotter water from an electric tank at 120 degrees, or seems so.

Reply to
LSMFT

Do you have a storage tank and a recirculating pump to the coil for your hot water? The thermostat on the storage tank could be set lower.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I would think so.

Reply to
ransley

Mine had two setting and the domestic water was never as hot as the heating water. Could also be your coil is getting plugged with minerals and losing efficiency. It has since been replaced though.

You'd fare better with a separate tank for water and not keeping the boiler on all the time to keep that poorly insulated reservoir hot. My System 2000 comes that way, but an Amtrol Boiler mate can be a good option too. If your system is 20 or more years old, it can probably be replaced with the savings on fuel.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

200 d F is much hotter tha normally recommened for a residential heating system boiler. 140 to 170 or 180 is common. Even if the boiler was somehow set at 200d though, drawing hot water at a high rate, for instance a wide open bathtub faucet, could exceed the capacity of the supply coil to heat that volume so the temperature at the faucet would be less than the boiler setting after a very short time. Sometimes a holding tank is installed for this reason.

boiler

Reply to
Larry W

Neither of our first two houses had a storage tank. The first house had a 5' run to all of the faucets in the house. Yes, it was *hot* (180F). I would always tell people to turn the cold water on first.

Reply to
krw

Yes, if all you have is a heat exchange it will be really hot initially and then cool down a bit as it flows. Can't be too hot for me but all I have is resistive hw heater now and in an effort to keep the bills down I set them at the middle.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

i'm surprised nobody gave the right answer...no

usually there is a MIXING VLAVE so the water comming out of the coil may be 200 deg but then it is mixed with cold water before going to your faucets...

Mark

Reply to
Mark