Hot Warer Heater Question

Hi, Our gas 40 gal hot water heater does not keep a constant temperature unless it is used every 3 - 4 hours. My wife gets up 45 minutes earlier than the rest of the family and the water is noticeably cooler when she showers. Also, if we are away all day and a bath is run, it runs out very quickly. After vacation, we put a load of washing through and wait 1/2 hour before we shower.
Is this usual for HW heaters? Once it's used during the day it's fine, three of us shower in a row and it's hot enough. It seems that as long as it gets intermittent use it's OK.
I would appreciate any comments.
Thanx,
Canadaloon
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I take it, this is a electric water heater? Check the temperature setting of BOTH heating elements. Also check to make sure both elements are still working.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

This is Turtle.
Joseph, he did say gas in the reply. You must have the same problem like me. i miss a bunch of stuff with it sticking right there in my face.
TURTLE
TURTLE wrote:

Yea, I figured that out after reading speedy's reply. I just can't read. I even looked for it and did not see it, like the third word in his text. ..
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Opps. If I could only read. I go along with Speedy since it is a gas unit. I have noticed the same thing, but not enough to make it a problem for me.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Why do you want to heat already hot water??
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

<SNIP>
The thermostat (control) on gas heaters often has a very wide differential (degrees between turn-on and turn-off). Overnight, the temp in the heater will drift lower and lower, but not quite reach the turn-on point.
You *may* be able to improve on the situation by replacing the control (not repairable) but its cost is a large fraction of the heater cost. If the heater is old (>5 yrs), I would change out the heater.
In the meantime, you might experiment with a slightly higher thermostat setting, as long as you don't scald people...
Jim
Why do you have to heat hot water? If it's already hot....
Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?
Is there intelligent life in San Francisco?
Maybe needs a dip tube?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus