Hot Warer Heater Question

Hi, Our gas 40 gal hot water heater does not keep a constant temperature unless it is used every 3 - 4 hours. My wife gets up 45 minutes earlier than the rest of the family and the water is noticeably cooler when she showers. Also, if we are away all day and a bath is run, it runs out very quickly. After vacation, we put a load of washing through and wait 1/2 hour before we shower.

Is this usual for HW heaters? Once it's used during the day it's fine, three of us shower in a row and it's hot enough. It seems that as long as it gets intermittent use it's OK.

I would appreciate any comments.

Thanx,

Canadaloon

Reply to
canadaloon

I take it, this is a electric water heater? Check the temperature setting of BOTH heating elements. Also check to make sure both elements are still working.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Why do you want to heat already hot water??

Reply to
*CBHVAC*

The thermostat (control) on gas heaters often has a very wide differential (degrees between turn-on and turn-off). Overnight, the temp in the heater will drift lower and lower, but not quite reach the turn-on point.

You *may* be able to improve on the situation by replacing the control (not repairable) but its cost is a large fraction of the heater cost. If the heater is old (>5 yrs), I would change out the heater.

In the meantime, you might experiment with a slightly higher thermostat setting, as long as you don't scald people...

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

This is Turtle.

Joseph, he did say gas in the reply. You must have the same problem like me. i miss a bunch of stuff with it sticking right there in my face.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Opps. If I could only read. I go along with Speedy since it is a gas unit. I have noticed the same thing, but not enough to make it a problem for me.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Yea, I figured that out after reading speedy's reply. I just can't read. I even looked for it and did not see it, like the third word in his text. ..

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Why do you have to heat hot water? If it's already hot....

Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?

Is there intelligent life in San Francisco?

Maybe needs a dip tube?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Point well made! I will be on the lookout for oxymorons in the future.

And write "Why do you have to heat hot water? If it's already hot...."

50 times ;-)

Reply to
canadaloon