Hot tub wiring

Can I use 2/12 wiring for a 240 volt 22 amp hot tub.? I have about 50 feet of 2/12 wire already wired from my electrical panel to outside. This wire used to be for a pool heater but I no longer have the heater therefore the wire will carry no other load except the hot tub. I would connect this wire to a gfci box and the box would have #10 awg going to the hot tub. can the 2/12 take the load safely?

Reply to
MaryAnn LeSage

No, you would need 10 gauge for a tub that draws 22 amps

Reply to
RBM

The short answer is no, you'd need 10 gauge. I'd also look into the other specific reqts for hot tubs, ie accessible disconnect nearby, GFCI, bonding of all nearby metal, etc.

Reply to
trader4

safely? yes. to code? no

if it's really drawing a constant 22A, then you should step up to 10/2 and a 30A breaker.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Do yourself a favor and call a qualified, licensed electrician to deal with this project... You clearly have no clue of what you are doing and mistakes which involve water near electricity are often fatal ones...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Yes, I'm sure you can. It just requires a wire stripper, and a screw driver.

That said, 12 gage is rated for 20 amps, and less than that if it's a long run. So, while you CAN use the wire, it's not really heavy enough to carry the load. It may also very possibly fail a code inspection. You also CAN use

18 gage lamp cord, if you want

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

*As others have stated, 12/2 is not suitable for your 22 amp load. Read the manufacturer's installation instructions. They are usually very specific about the electrical requirements. The electrical inspector may want to reference the instructions before he approves of the installation.
Reply to
John Grabowski

2/12 implies a cable with a quantity of (12) #2 gauge conductors. Did you mean 12/2 ?
Reply to
Galileo Galilei

IF you dont have the paperwork that came with the spa you can probably google for it. Follow the recommendations.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE