hot tub temperature

Page 4 of 5
On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 18:49:48 GMT, Mys Terry

It is not that difficult. In fact, just because manufacturers are responding to the exact thing I am discussing does not mean every dusty unit in the strores is listed. If it is not properly marked or have a valid listing number the inspector can fail it.
One hint, if there is a built in stereo, electronic displays or switches (other than air powered) you can reach from the water, it can't be legal.
On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 22:40:57 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

[cut]
???? This means all spas would be illegal since all of them have jet speed controls within reach from the water. Surely you can't mean what you just wrote.

The legal ones use air powered switches. There is a hose that connects the switch plunger to a remote switch.
680.22 prohibits any switching device within 5 feet of the water's edge unless it is behind a separating wall.
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 12:17:39 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

This information is incorrect, as the many thousands of legal hot tubs with control panels on the top edge of the coping are proof. Gfretwell is either a troll, or badly misinformed.
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 16:30:29 GMT, Mys Terry

The "legal" ones use air controls. There are plenty before inspectors started demanding U/L listings.
Your search revealed the ones who ARE listed, not those that aren't. I also noticed a lot of the ones on Google said things like "U/L listed pumps" that doesn'r mean the assembly is listed.
BTW an AHJ does not have to "approve" something just because it is listed. Perhaps you don't really understand the inspection and approval process. What are YOUR credentials? I am SBCCI, IAEI, ICBO certified and Florida licensed. (BN2102)
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 12:42:59 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Although air controls would probably be legal, so are the low voltage switches that virtually all hot tubs use.

When? Which Tubs? 40 years ago? Home built tubs made from wine barrels?

Your searches haven;'t found ONE example to support your fantasy.

Please point me to a link for ANY manufactured hot tub that is not legal everywhere in the united states. ONE.

That's a meaningless statement. An inspector that does not approve something just because he "feels like it" is guilty of malpractice and may find himself personally held liable for damages.

It sounds like inspectors in Florida are not screened very carefully if you are a typical example.
I'll be waiting for you to post some actual verifiable proof to back up anything you have claimed so far.
I think the "air controls" to your brain need to be adjusted a little.
On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 22:40:57 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Well, see... Now you have exposed your ignorance further. Virtually all modern hot tubs are UL approved AND virtually all of them have electronic control panels within easy reach. It's completely legal, and UL approved to boot. Mine also has underwater lights that are UL approved.
Manufacturers are not responding to what some knuckle headed municipal inspectors "think". They have ALWAYS responded to what their own lawyers tell them about product liability. The idea that there can be no stereos, electronic displays and switches is just plain WRONG. They can all be there safely and completely legally. See if you can figure out how. It isn't rocket science.
<estrogen induced tirade snipped>
That time of the month again? What is that, the fourth time this month?
Steve
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 07:42:12 -0700, "Steve B"

Those "fact thingys" really bug you, don't they! They make Gfretwell break out in hives.
wrote

No, what bugs me is your level of bitchiness and know-it-all-ness.
It's pretty simple.
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 08:04:41 -0700, "Steve B"

Well, when somebody starts posting misinformation and sounds like they have an agenda, I don't think anybody is served by letting them skate. If I'm wrong, please post FACTS to support your disagreement as I have, rather than getting all hissy and telling me that I have PMS because YOU don't have any real answers.
Next time, maybe you will come armed with verifiable facts, rather than making stuff up as you go along, and hoping no one will notice.
You're welcome.

Three strikes, and you're out.
Plonk

If ya can't stand the heat, stay outta the hot tub, Stevie.
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 10:23:51 GMT, Mys Terry

From the National Electrical Code 680.22(C) Switching Devices. Switching devices shall be located at least 1.5 m (5 ft) horizontally from the inside walls of a pool unless separated from the pool by a solid fence, wall, or other permanent barrier. Alternatively, a switch that is listed as being acceptable for use within 1.5 m (5 ft) shall be permitted.
680.42 Outdoor Installations. A spa or hot tub installed outdoors shall comply with the provisions of Parts I and II of this article, except as permitted in 680.42(A) and (B), that would otherwise apply to pools installed outdoors.
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 12:25:29 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Read that last line again, would you? Read it out loud so we can all hear it. Then go stand in the corner.

NONE of which applies to the low voltage switches used in virtually ALL manufactured Hot Tubs. The stereos used in hot tubs are likewise, not running on A/C house current.
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 16:35:22 GMT, Mys Terry

680.22 does not say anything about low voltage. When you are up to your neck in water there is no such thing as low voltage.
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 16:35:22 GMT, Mys Terry

Which brings us back to where we started. Make damned sure the tub you get that bargain on is U/L listed and it is labelled. U/L listing is a fairly new and far from universal thing.
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 12:52:15 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Huh? Are you on CRACK?
UL Listing has been around since EIGHTEEN NINETY FOUR
http://www.ul.com/about /
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 16:56:10 GMT, Mys Terry

U/L has been around but hot tub manufacturers did not submit their tubs for testing until inspectors started red tagging them and that is fairly recent. When this issue came up last year we were finding more than half of the tubs sold had no listing marks at all and some that did were field modified and voided that listing. I don't care anymore. Go on believing what you want to believe.
wrote

You seem to know everything there is to know. It would be senseless for me to continue talking with you.
Steve