hot tub temperature

Before passing judgement, you might ask for clarification or additional information.

Page 46 of the HotSpring Owner's Manual states:

"For maximum protection against freeze damage to your spa, Watkins Manufacturing Corporation recommends contacting your HotSpring dealer to schedule an in-home Propylene glycol (anti-freeze) Winterizing Service plan."

A copy of these instructions were provided to me by my dealer as part of my start-up package.

For more information on how to properly winterize a spa, see:

Cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Eldridge

I get the IAEI magazine (electrical inspector trade rag) and I go to the meetings. I am only relating what I am seeing. Some areas may be ignoring this but it is a valid violation if they want to call it.

Reply to
gfretwell

I just did a little google search on "Hot Tub" and "UL Approved" and found that virtually ALL free standing hot tubs are UL approved these days. Even accessories such as covers are UL listed. It looks as though it would be very difficult to find one that was NOT UL approved.

Reply to
Mys Terry

"Mys Terry" wrote

I am certain that with your vast amount of experience, if there was ONE spa that was not UL approved, you would have been the one to have seen it. ;-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I'm sorry that facts offend you.

Reply to
Mys Terry

Huh? That was a compliment.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

It is not that difficult. In fact, just because manufacturers are responding to the exact thing I am discussing does not mean every dusty unit in the strores is listed. If it is not properly marked or have a valid listing number the inspector can fail it.

One hint, if there is a built in stereo, electronic displays or switches (other than air powered) you can reach from the water, it can't be legal.

Reply to
gfretwell

[cut]

???? This means all spas would be illegal since all of them have jet speed controls within reach from the water. Surely you can't mean what you just wrote.

Reply to
KLS

Well, see... Now you have exposed your ignorance further. Virtually all modern hot tubs are UL approved AND virtually all of them have electronic control panels within easy reach. It's completely legal, and UL approved to boot. Mine also has underwater lights that are UL approved.

Manufacturers are not responding to what some knuckle headed municipal inspectors "think". They have ALWAYS responded to what their own lawyers tell them about product liability. The idea that there can be no stereos, electronic displays and switches is just plain WRONG. They can all be there safely and completely legally. See if you can figure out how. It isn't rocket science.

Reply to
Mys Terry

"Mys Terry" wrote

That time of the month again? What is that, the fourth time this month?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Those "fact thingys" really bug you, don't they! They make Gfretwell break out in hives.

Reply to
Mys Terry

No, what bugs me is your level of bitchiness and know-it-all-ness.

It's pretty simple.

Reply to
Steve B

Well, when somebody starts posting misinformation and sounds like they have an agenda, I don't think anybody is served by letting them skate. If I'm wrong, please post FACTS to support your disagreement as I have, rather than getting all hissy and telling me that I have PMS because YOU don't have any real answers.

Next time, maybe you will come armed with verifiable facts, rather than making stuff up as you go along, and hoping no one will notice.

You're welcome.

Reply to
Mys Terry

The legal ones use air powered switches. There is a hose that connects the switch plunger to a remote switch.

680.22 prohibits any switching device within 5 feet of the water's edge unless it is behind a separating wall.
Reply to
gfretwell

From the National Electrical Code 680.22(C) Switching Devices. Switching devices shall be located at least 1.5 m (5 ft) horizontally from the inside walls of a pool unless separated from the pool by a solid fence, wall, or other permanent barrier. Alternatively, a switch that is listed as being acceptable for use within 1.5 m (5 ft) shall be permitted.

680.42 Outdoor Installations. A spa or hot tub installed outdoors shall comply with the provisions of Parts I and II of this article, except as permitted in 680.42(A) and (B), that would otherwise apply to pools installed outdoors.
Reply to
gfretwell

This information is incorrect, as the many thousands of legal hot tubs with control panels on the top edge of the coping are proof. Gfretwell is either a troll, or badly misinformed.

Reply to
Mys Terry

Read that last line again, would you? Read it out loud so we can all hear it. Then go stand in the corner.

NONE of which applies to the low voltage switches used in virtually ALL manufactured Hot Tubs. The stereos used in hot tubs are likewise, not running on A/C house current.

Reply to
Mys Terry

The "legal" ones use air controls. There are plenty before inspectors started demanding U/L listings.

Your search revealed the ones who ARE listed, not those that aren't. I also noticed a lot of the ones on Google said things like "U/L listed pumps" that doesn'r mean the assembly is listed.

BTW an AHJ does not have to "approve" something just because it is listed. Perhaps you don't really understand the inspection and approval process. What are YOUR credentials? I am SBCCI, IAEI, ICBO certified and Florida licensed. (BN2102)

Reply to
gfretwell

680.22 does not say anything about low voltage. When you are up to your neck in water there is no such thing as low voltage.
Reply to
gfretwell

Although air controls would probably be legal, so are the low voltage switches that virtually all hot tubs use.

When? Which Tubs? 40 years ago? Home built tubs made from wine barrels?

Your searches haven;'t found ONE example to support your fantasy.

Please point me to a link for ANY manufactured hot tub that is not legal everywhere in the united states. ONE.

That's a meaningless statement. An inspector that does not approve something just because he "feels like it" is guilty of malpractice and may find himself personally held liable for damages.

It sounds like inspectors in Florida are not screened very carefully if you are a typical example.

I'll be waiting for you to post some actual verifiable proof to back up anything you have claimed so far.

I think the "air controls" to your brain need to be adjusted a little.

Reply to
Mys Terry