hot tub temperature

So does that mean they don't make the one at Walmart? Or if they make it, maybe they don't support it? We're talking about Thermospa as if what applies to it applies to the one at Walmart. ????

Reply to
mm

"mm" wrote

If a company is making good money making good spas, why would they want to put out crap and make less money on the same amount of units?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

A spa is a combination of a lot of things. Hoses. Pumps. Gates. Valves. Jets. Electronics. Switching devices. Heating devices. Temperature control devices.

If you use high quality components, chances are the spa you build will work well and be reliable. If you use low quality components, chances are that the spa you build will break down more often, be less reliable, and have a lot more service related issues.

That being said, when you go to the Borg stores, it is nearly impossible to find out the name of the manufacturers of the component parts. And even if they are stamped with the manufacturer, you need to speak Chinese to read the address or company name.

Now, throw together a couple of years of manufacture using a long list of variable parts from various suppliers ............ ALL OF THEM BEING LOWEST BIDDER, and you have a real bag of snakes.

If you were to take a poll of people who have owned a spa for five years, there would be a definite statistical correlation between those who bought good spas from good manufacturers and who like them. Those who bought cheap spas won't have as high a satisfaction percentage.

Buy all you can afford even if you have to buy used. They last a long time, and a good used one will cost you less than a bad new one.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I've purchased lots of products through Sears over the years, including just about all of my major appliances -- Kenmore mostly, but other name brands such as Frigidaire and Bosch as well.

Most of the appliances sold under the Kenmore name are, in fact, made by Whirlpool, or at least that has traditionally been the case; I understand Sears provided the initial start-up capital for Whirlpool and has, not surprisingly, always maintained a close working relationship with the company. It's fair to say millions of people have bought Kenmore appliances over the years and millions more will continue to do so in the future, because they're highly satisfied with the product and, just as importantly, the way Sears stands behind it. There's a strong sense of trust, respect and a true brand loyalty that is largely unmatched.

In terms of spas, it's not uncommon for a manufacturer to offer two, three or more brands that target specific groups of consumers at different price points.... much in the same way GM markets its vehicles through various divisions. Certainly the features -- and, yes, as can be expected, the quality -- will vary alongside the price. After all, you don't buy a Neon and expect it to perform like a HEMI

300C. :-)

Cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Eldridge

Hi, But there is always best bang for the buck. Paying more money does not mean better product at some point. Lots of high end stuffs most often just have more bells and whistles which is prone to give more troubles. Specially electronic gadgets. How many times all this bells and whistles are used routlinely?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi Tony,

You've certainly raised a valid point. There are a few expensive spas out there that are, in terms of build quality, nothing more than a costly bag of poop. Clearly, some consumers are being ripped off and the manufacturer in question can get away with it because most of us are conditioned to equate quality with price. Again, you have to do your homework.

Reply to
Paul M. Eldridge

He may be saving his money on the purchase so he'll have enough money for electricity to run it.

Remember the poster we had 3 or 4 weeks ago, who couldn't afford the electricty?

Reply to
mm

What Paul said, just below. That is, they would sell a greater number of units. Almost as many of their good ones (Probably just as many, because if they didn't sell cheaper ones, someone else would anyhow.) plus the many cheaper ones they sold.

I also agree with Tony, that not all fancy features are worth having. The guy who owned my house before me and bought the appliances bought pretty much what he should have, somewhere in the middle, except for the electric stove, which I think is at the cheap end. He paid extra for the dryer that can go by how wet the clothes are, and I use that all the time.

I usually buy a car when it is 7 years old and sell it when it is 14. My current one is 11, and I was shopping for a new one about 4 years ago, to buy in 2009, and sadly, none of the new accessories interested me. I have a '95 car now that is loaded, and I've got little or nothing left to look forward to in a new car. I don't want satellite navigation. I suppose if the car has a satellite radio, I'll subscribe, but I don't want music, only call in and talk radio (and not Rush Limbaugh) and afaict, satellite doesn't have much.

Reply to
mm

It's easy enough to drain the tub and use a shop vac to blow out the lines if your tub will be unheated for a few days in freezing temps.

In -25C temps, you are not going to get parts fast enough to prevent freezing no matter how you get them, and that technician may be booked up a week in advance.

Reply to
Mys Terry

Nice thought, but most HOUSES are not U/L listed either.

Reply to
Mys Terry

That might be another one of the high-end brands, but I can't remember. Did you sit in it? My experience is that the better spas have more comfortable seats; the seats are what sold me on my Beachcomber, and everyone loves them.

Reply to
KLS

Houses are inspected when they are built (or should be). The spa is sold as "equipment" A spa can be field evaluated but the AHJ has no obligation to do it himself. I have never seen one that would pass inspection using the NEC rules. Wiring in equipment generally does not follow the same rules as building wiring. (smaller wire, different splicing methods, voltage separatation issues etc) He could tell you to call a NRTL for a certification or he could simply red tag the thing. Your AHJ may not be looking at these but if he does it could be a problem

Reply to
gfretwell

Electricity isn't the only thing. You have filters, chemicals, and parts. Poorly designed spas use lots more electricity because they are not insulated as well, and do not run as efficiently. So, a "savings" in the beginning can be eaten up quickly.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"mm" wrote

My spa guy that I bought my spas from steered me away from spas that had lots of extra things. A plain spa has far less to go wrong with it. Who needs a stereo built in when you can buy a boom box?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I'm confused. You first said that it was no big deal to have it down for a week. Then you said it was no big deal to get parts off the Internet to avoid being gouged by the local shop. I assumed you were talking about doing your own labor, because most repairmen won't do the work using customer parts because they won't give any warranty, and they want to make all the markup like the evil shop owners do.

Which way is it?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

OK, I trust none of us will actually have to put this to the test, but there are a couple things you can do to hopefully avoid the "big freeze".

Assuming your tub is fully foamed/well insulated, I would advise against draining it unless you can properly winterize it with non-toxic antifreeze (the type used by RVs). Your owner's manual may have specific, step-by-step, instructions on how to do this, at least mine does.... follow them to the "T".

Now, 400 or 500 gallons of water at 100F or so, is a considerable amount of thermal mass and a good, well insulated, tub should be able to retain much of this heat for several days, even at below freezing temperatures. The one weak spot is the equipment compartment.

Assuming you haven't lost power, stick a trouble light inside the equipment compartment to keep the pumps, heater and exposed plumbing in this area warm. If it happens to be a CFL you are using, replace it with a 40 or 60-watt incandescent bulb depending upon the size of this area and outside temperature... now is not the time to be energy conscious. :-)

Be **very** careful to properly secure the light and ensure its heat won't damage any plastic piping, electrical wiring or electronic components; the object here is to keep this area warm, not burn down your spa down. An electric blanket or heating pad might also work, if one is available; without question, this would be the safer option.

If you have one of those indoor/outdoor temperature gauges, stick the external probe inside the equipment compartment and monitor the temperature (frequently) and if it's getting too hot or too cold inside there, bump up the bulb to the next higher wattage, or unplug the trouble light periodically to allow the area to cool down, as the case may be.

The next weak spot is the cover. The R-value of a good quality cover is probably less than half that of the spa cabinet. Protect the cover with as many old blankets or quilts as you have at your disposal. Secure them with a tarp or plastic sheet. If there is snow available, bank the sides of the spa to help reduce heat loss and minimize exposure to wind. If there is no snow, construct a makeshift shelter by leaning plywood against the spa; again, you want to protect the spa from the prevailing winds as best you can.

No electricity? If you have a natural gas/propane stove or even a BBQ, warm up as many bricks as you can find (if no bricks are available, hot water bottles, pots of water, whatever you can use) and place them inside the equipment compartment. Again, be careful not to damage any components. If the temperature of the water inside the spa is falling dangerously low, dump some of this water and refill with water from your home's domestic hot water tank or even pots of water heated up on the stove.

Be creative and do whatever it takes. If, for example, you have a portable propane heater, build a plastic tent and surround it with warm air (and if you don't happen to own such a heater, you might be able to borrow or rent one).

And now might be a good time to check your homeowner's policy. Often you can buy extra coverage for hot tubs and for a few extra bucks you'll have the peace of mind of knowing that your investment is well protected.

Hope this has been helpful.

Cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Eldridge

I agree that you are a very confused person.

Reply to
Mys Terry

Okay, you have now established that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about and have never had any experience with a hot tub.

Reply to
Mys Terry

Sorry, but you are completely nuts.

Reply to
Mys Terry

I could have told you that. Now how about answering my questions? (Please see above)

Steve

Reply to
Steve B