hot tub problem

I have a hot tub. Had it for 8 years now without problem until December 2012. (I run my hot tub all winter or should I say year round.) The power went off due to a winter storm. |It did not come back on for 48 hours. I had my hot tub running. I emptied the tub and filled it with anti freeze however I could not run the motor to ensure that the anti freeze spread all over and I completely forgot about it when the power finally came back on. About a month ago, I cleaned the hot tub and began to fill it. It started leaking around the tub. I did notice that when the water is below the jets, there is no leaking. It's when the water covers the jets where the leaking takes place. It's hard to get someone to come and look at it as they charge an arm and a leg. I live in a small town so to get service I would have to look out of town which is approx

100 miles south of here. I would appreciate it if someone could possibly help me with this before I go out and pay an arm and a leg. Is it the jets? Is it piping? Is it the shell? What kind of repair work am I looking at?
Reply to
MJAY

If everything under the tub is accessible, it may not be that bad. I imagine you split a pipe or two.

In a similar situation I put 2 "hibachi" style charcoal grills inside the spa enclosure to get me warmed up until the power came on. I am glad I live where water doesn't freeze now. I suppose you could have pumped the antifreeze through the piping with an old style plunger.

Reply to
gfretwell

Most of them have removable panels on the sides. Take all the panels off a nd see if you can spot the leak. If it's like mine there may be foam spray ed over parts of the tub from the inside. You might have to tear some of t he foam off to see the backs of the jets. Mine has leaked a few times. Us ually turned out to be a loose fitting or hose. Once it was a pump seal.

Reply to
jamesgang

That was probably a mistake. If it was full of warm water, left covered it would have stayed above freezing for 48 hours, probably a lot longer.

and I completely forgot about it when the power

So any water that was in the pipes where the antifreeze didn't get could have frozen, busting a pipe, cracking a pump, etc.

About a month ago, I cleaned the hot tub and began

and see if you can spot the leak. If it's like mine there may be foam spr ayed over parts of the tub from the inside. You might have to tear some of the foam off to see the backs of the jets. Mine has leaked a few times. Usually turned out to be a loose fitting or hose. Once it was a pump seal.

Given the scenario, I'd say not likely it's leaking around the spot where the jets are sealed to the tub. More likely something in the plumbing system underneath froze and cracked. Before even taking off all the panels, I'd open the main access one and have a look starting there. Then if needed, more panels next.

Reply to
trader4

The first winter I had my hot tub [a 10yr old tub that I had replaced the perimeter insulation with 2" rigid foam panels] the power went out for a week. I left the cover closed and monitored the temp of the enclosure with a remote thermometer that I had placed there when I installed the tub.

In a week the temp dropped to about 60F degrees. Outside temps

15-30F most days- but warmed to 50 the last day.

If it was 0F and staying there I'd run a cord from the generator and put a light bulb in there to keep the chill off.

Jim

see if you can spot the leak. If it's like mine there may be foam sprayed over parts of the tub from the inside. You might have to tear some of the foam off to see the backs of the jets. Mine has leaked a few times. Usually turned out to be a loose fitting or hose. Once it was a pump seal.

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

off and see if you can spot the leak. If it's like mine there may be foam sprayed over parts of the tub from the inside. You might have to tear some of the foam off to see the backs of the jets. Mine has leaked a few times . Usually turned out to be a loose fitting or hose. Once it was a pump se al.

As a thermal storage medium, water works pretty well. We have an extra hot water heater in the garage for our bonus room bath and outdoor shower. It 's on a switch so we can turn it off when not needed. But I can use it day s after it's been off and still get pretty warm water out of it.

Reply to
jamesgang

and see if you can spot the leak. If it's like mine there may be foam spr ayed over parts of the tub from the inside. You might have to tear some of the foam off to see the backs of the jets. Mine has leaked a few times. Usually turned out to be a loose fitting or hose. Once it was a pump seal.

Most of the one?s here in Southern California DON?T have removable pane ls ANYWHERE. My amazement of how anyone would let a contractor build someth ing that you can?t get maintenance access is only surpassed by the amazem ent of the owners? when I tell them that I will be cutting their expensiv e natural stone just to give them an estimate.

Reply to
recyclebinned

ff and see if you can spot the leak. If it's like mine there may be foam s prayed over parts of the tub from the inside. You might have to tear some of the foam off to see the backs of the jets. Mine has leaked a few times. Usually turned out to be a loose fitting or hose. Once it was a pump sea l.

nels ANYWHERE. My amazement of how anyone would let a contractor build some thing that you can?t get maintenance access is only surpassed by the amaz ement of the owners? when I tell them that I will be cutting their expens ive natural stone just to give them an estimate.

I'm guessing you are talking about built-ins. The op sounded a lot like th ey had a stand alone.

Reply to
jamesgang