Hot tub leak suggestions

I recently bought a new house which came with a CalSpa Premier, 500 gal. I think, hot tub in a Florida room. The Hot tub worked fine prior to selling and sat without water for about 6 weeks while we moved in and focused on other stuff. 2 days ago I filled the tub and started adding chemicals and after a couple of hours found water on the floor and the base of the tub (redwood enclosure) at the low end of the unit. I found a jet nozzle - with broken seal in the bottom of the tub that apparently had been loose and blew out once the pumps started up. I went to the dealer the spa came from and bought new seals for all the jets and replaced them, 4 were completely shot out of 12. Refilled the last night and started leaking again. The leak is not large, probably less than a pint lost each time before draining, after about 12 hours between filling and draining.

I can't see where the water is coming from with 2 of the covers off, but all is dry around the pump compartment. I read in a post about jacking the tub up to get under and check for leaks and I put some red food coloring into the water to circulate hoping it may appear where the leak is once I gain access. Has anyone had any success finding leaks on these things? The access panels don't provide much hope and lifting this thing is going to be a job!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Reply to
R Thompson

I'd start by filling it until the lower drain is covered, let is sit and check for leaks. If no leaks, keep filling incrementally, until the leak shows up. Once the level of the leak is found, you can probably ignore any piping and fittings above that point.

If your Cal Spa is fully foamed, like ours, you'll have to dig out the foam around the suspect area. After making the repair and using for a while, you can re-foam with the expanding foam.

Reply to
Kent

I found my mysterious leak by removing the skirt completely with a cordless drill and a spare hour (took me that long to find all the d@mn screws), laying newspaper in the bottom, filling to the correct level, and waiting. Repairing it was a painfull endevor, but I only paid fifty bucks for the tub, so it worked out for me.

That being said, It's a Jacuzzi brand so this may not be very helpful, but I've found on this one that the "weak points" seemed to be around the air system, and the drain spicket. Another spot that it started leaking later on was the filter box.

Reply to
Joe