Hot Tub Cover Full of Water

Page 2 of 2
you wrote:
<snip>

no biggie. Unfortunately, the life span is usually between 3-5 years depending on it's initial quality, exposure to the elements etc.
They can be quite expensive as well. We just replaced ours and it was $400 (7'x7'). The covers are thick so that they insulate the water and prevent it from getting cold. Most hot tubs are used more extensively in the winter so keeping a hot tub at 102-105F can be quite expensive if you don't have a cover that keeps the heat in.
The problem arises when the condensation creeps into the insulating foam. The foam, over time, then absorbs the water and when that happens, it become one massive, heavy (think 100+lbs) PITA to try and wrestle around. That's usually the primary reason that people replace their covers. Not so much that it's *broken* as it is the foam is no longer protected from the evaporating water.
I've heard of people actually unzipping the outside protective cover and taking out the foam inserts and covering them with waterproof sealants but I have no idea on their success doing so.
Norminn wrote:

Not that kind of cover. Hot tubs usually have a slab-style cover made of vinyl-covered foam, to keep the hot water hot longer, so you don't burn up quite all the gas or electric heating from scratch every time you use it.
-- aem sends...