Hot tub cover

Has anyone ever built an insulated spa (hot tub) cover. I really don't want to dish out $400 for a new one. Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Yes Paul, We have a hot tub cover we built in two sections... We made it out of that blue styrofoam insulation aproximately 3 inches thick. We stapled a tarp on the inside to match the color of the hot tub (really dosen't matter what color as over time the chlorine bleaches it anyways) and the layed some vinyl over the top secured on the sides with decorative thumb tacks...I reccomend using brass thumb tacks as the steel ones we had used rusted out and had to replaced after three or so yrs. It has needed a minor rebuild in tarp and tacks since 1985 for only a few dollars. I would be happy to send you digital photographs of the cover if you wish.... Jim

Reply to
Jim

really don't want

appreciated.

I built one out of 3" polyurethane foam by fiberglassing it over. If you support it at the edges when you apply the first glass to the bottom, it sags in the middle, making a convex top to the final product.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Sounds like a great idea. and would be very interested in seeing any pictures you may have. I am particularly interested in seeing how you stapled the tarp underneath. Did the staples rust after a short time?

Thanks Paul pkntz@"NOSPAM"nbnet.nb.ca

Reply to
Paul

The amount of time and material that some people will spend to try to save a few bucks amazes me. There are lots of things I do myself to save money, but this is one I'd never try, as I can't imagine what one of these homemade things would look like or how well it would work.

I bought a custom made spa cover, built to my exact dimensions over the internet that was shipped to my door for $350. They last a very long time and it works out to maybe $45 a year. Compared to the other costs of a spa, that seems very reasonable to me.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

over.

try to

myself to

what one

work.

over

very

the other

Then again, mine looks nice, is strong enough for a child to jump on (he got yelled at), and will probably last as long as a fiberglass boat, and lifts off hydraulically with the push of a button.

To each his own.

Bob

Reply to
Bob