Hot tub chemistry question

Page 2 of 2

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 09:37:49 -0600, "Steve Barker"

Please let the rest of us know when you get a clue. For openers, "PH" is not a verb.
CWM

On 26 Feb 2007 09:56:45 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

No. pH is the "potential of hydrogen ion," and is directly related to alkalinity and acidic. I suggest changing the pH more slowly, adding "PH Down" every other day and testing days in-between.
On Feb 26, 12:56 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Lower the pH to 7.0 and _maintain_ it at that level while aerating the water. The aerating will speed up the outgassing of CO2. When the alkalinity is where you want it then stop correcting the pH and keep aerating until the pH is where you want it.

This site is interesting reading. http://askalanaquestion.com/spa_ph_and_total_alkalinity.htm
Bob

There are products that will increase "total alkalinity", while not RAISING PH as much as a product designed to affect PH.
http://www.spadepot.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code 1017&Category_Code=Chemistry
BTW, I agree with those saying that the alkalinity term as used in the water world is misleading. I also agree with whoever it was above that said they adjusted PH after adding sanitizer. I do routinely do this, because the sanitizer affects the PH. When I fill my SPA the incoming water is just about 7 to beging with, which is close enough to just add sanitizer.