hot tub acquired; questions

i recently acquired a hot tub from a friend who had a divorce and had to get rid of it. I can't seem to figure out what brand of tub it is as there is no markings/labels on it anywhere. does this matter?
i don't know anything about it in terms of capacity, etc. how can i ID this tub? don't i need to figure out how many gallons it is so that I can purchase the correct heater and pump? it came with a pump, timer and filter but no heater. how do i know what kind/size of heater to get for it?
also, it isn't built into a "box" like the new ones you see for sale at home depot or whereever. it is just the fiberglass shell. how will this affect the installation? do I need to build a box around it first? or can I just build it into a deck?
any and all advice appreciated.
tb austin, tx
On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 23:22:06 -0600, T.B. wrote:

tb,
My bet is your hot tub is 120v and uses heat generated by the pump motor to warm the water.
I'd fill the tub up, plug it in, get the circulating pump going and cover it (cover is critical). Come back in 24 hours. If the water is warm, add chemicals and enjoy.
-Steve
it's a sta-rite pump if that tells you anything. is that one of the pumps that heats the water?

Sta-Rite is just a brand of very good pumps. I've had one running on a pool for about 25 years with minimal repairs.
To determine the volume of the tub just measure it. About 7.9 gallons per cu. ft.
Boden