hot to install pet door

I have sliding glass doors on the backside of the house. In one of them, I have a 3' wide vertical plywood panel that the slider goes up against. There is a cutout down low on the panel for a pet door. I wedge a dowel in the track to prevent intrusion.
Anyone have any better ideas/approaches than this? My way is somewhat primative, but it works.

How about this. It's designed to be installed into a sliding patio door opening.
website: www.petedge.com
Link to item: http://www.petedge.com/shopping/browse/directorymain.jsp?AS=1&keyword=jd610
Click on the item for details.
--
Phil {remove 9 for mail}

There are doggie doors that are specifically designed for sliding glass doors.
I did a search on the internet and found an example at http://www.petsafe-florida.com/doors/patio-panel.htm
Mel

in
Those are both good. Thanks.