Hot Surface Ignitor Control Module testing

Gas valve will not open; HSI glows okay. So far, I have sent 24 v. to the gas valve solenoid to be certain it works. That leaves the control module which I tested as follows: Removed it fron the unit, connected a test lamp to the two "valve" terminals, and energized the 24 v. terminals. The controller cycled through its series of timed clicks but the light never came on. Is this enough to prove the control module is bad? Or do I need to have the 120 v. and HSI connected to get a fair evaluation? I sure don't want to spend a hundred plus on a new control module if there is any possibility I have not tested it correctly. Any one know something I have not thought of? TIA, Frank
Valve Honeywell Control Honeywell Furnace Ruud cross flow
--
"Let peace be your goal, love be your mentor, and joy be your guide" (Sant'Agata)
TimelessMiracles.com
Sant'Agata wrote:

You can download more info here: http://hbctechlit.honeywell.com/
Jim
MORE INFO to go with the problem below. Thanks, Frank
The valve is a Honeywell VR8205A 2008. It has two terminals on the plastic portion that are used to open the solenoid. There are two other terminals on the die cast housing that are not used.
The controller is a Honeywell S89J and has connections to 120 v., 24 v., HSI, Valve, and Ground. I think the HSI igniter also acts as a flame sensor on this type.
The unit is a RUUD horizontal model RGUH-??? There are about a dozen different numbers folowing the RGUH on the list, but I do not know which one this is. It is a very simple cross flow furnace--nothing unusual. (Just wish it had a standing pilot instead!)
I can get a Honeywell universal control module to replace it for $115 plus shipping from Grainger. Just want to be certain it is in need of replacement first (see below)