Hot Surface Ignitor Control Module testing

Gas valve will not open; HSI glows okay. So far, I have sent 24 v. to the gas valve solenoid to be certain it works. That leaves the control module which I tested as follows: Removed it fron the unit, connected a test lamp to the two "valve" terminals, and energized the 24 v. terminals. The controller cycled through its series of timed clicks but the light never came on. Is this enough to prove the control module is bad? Or do I need to have the 120 v. and HSI connected to get a fair evaluation? I sure don't want to spend a hundred plus on a new control module if there is any possibility I have not tested it correctly. Any one know something I have not thought of? TIA, Frank

Valve Honeywell Control Honeywell Furnace Ruud cross flow

Reply to
Sant'Agata

You can download more info here:

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Not enough information...

Is it a SmartValve? If so, What model, as some, and thats SOME, send signal BACK to the board to tell the board to light the HSI. We need model numbers of the board, valve, and furnace to tell you. And some Smart Valves....gonna run more than a $100 if they are bad.

Reply to
CBhvac

MORE INFO to go with the problem below. Thanks, Frank

The valve is a Honeywell VR8205A 2008. It has two terminals on the plastic portion that are used to open the solenoid. There are two other terminals on the die cast housing that are not used.

The controller is a Honeywell S89J and has connections to 120 v., 24 v., HSI, Valve, and Ground. I think the HSI igniter also acts as a flame sensor on this type.

The unit is a RUUD horizontal model RGUH-??? There are about a dozen different numbers folowing the RGUH on the list, but I do not know which one this is. It is a very simple cross flow furnace--nothing unusual. (Just wish it had a standing pilot instead!)

I can get a Honeywell universal control module to replace it for $115 plus shipping from Grainger. Just want to be certain it is in need of replacement first (see below)

Reply to
Sant'Agata

Odd..thats listed as a standing pilot model....or the Honeywell books wrong..

Ok....HSI glows, but no flame....no gas valve open...

this ones simple

1- Check for 24VAC across valve terminals during trial for ignition. No voltage, replace module. 2- Check ignitor position, and move and adjust if needed...but thats if the valves opening...of course. 3- Check electrical connections between S89 and gas control. IF ok, replace gas control.

Thats it...simple.

Those numbers can mean a world of difference. If you dont have them, get them and make sure they are correct. You wont be able to get correct information without them

I dont like the universals, and they only cost about $85. Another reason I do not do business with Grainger.

Reply to
CBhvac