Hot on Left, Cold on Right?

Page 1 of 2
I'm installing a laundry outlet box. Does the rule "Hot on Left, Cold on Right" apply to a washing machine supply? I know this is a plumbing rule, but does this rule strictly apply to laundry? It would be much easier to cross flexible washing machine supply lines than copper pipe with several additional copper fittings in my situation. Really, does this matter, nobody would know different?
Phisherman wrote:

Convention -- only place I can see would be potentially down the road if selling an anal inspector could ding it.
Personally, I'd follow convention while in the process, but as you say, it would function w/o doing so.
dpb wrote: ...

BTW, if choose the easy way out, I'd recommend clearly marking "H/C" to minimize confusion later. Maybe paint hot handle red/cold blue or just a fixed label.

A strip of red/blue tape around the lines to help mark the connections, also. It's a laundry...
Phisherman wrote:

Depends, no one will know about it now. But what about the future when maybe the house is sold or you aren't around to explain the unconventional installation?

I'd go with convention, even if it means more sweating. It could cause confusion later on.
I feel your pain. This reminds of the time I had my utility sink replaced, long before I knew how to sweat a pipe. A plumber buddy ordered the parts, including a faucet that was plumbed from the top (a basement install).
After we busted up the old concrete sink, installed the fiberglass sink against the block wall, and ran the pipes to where the new faucet would go, he opened the faucet box. Imagine his surprise when he found a faucet that had to be plumbed from the bottom!
It took a gazillion fittings to extend the pipes along the top of sink, down around the side and along the bottom to the faucet. Somewhere in there he had to cross the pipes to make the hot and cold match up. What should have been a quick and easy job, all done from an standing position, took a lot longer and required sweating a bunch of fittings in tight quarters and under the sink.
Phisherman wrote:

I don't know but reminds me of a coworker that bought a new house and hot and cold switched to toilet. Toilet worked OK but he got a hot flush ;)

I went to a function at a local High School where all the toilets were plumbed with warm water. I don't know why, but I do know that it felt nice while sitting down. You could tell the difference just sitting there.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

This is a good idea in a humid environment. I have mixing valves feeding all of my toilets too. It eliminates condensation on the tank and bowl and the resulting dripping on the floor.
Boden
THAT particular 'mistake' could have been done on purpose. It keeps the tanks from sweating.

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:21:03 -0600, "Steve Barker DLT"

If they simply hooked it to the hot side for that, then they did it wrong. If sweating is a problem, you can mix in a small volume of hot water to make the water 70-80 degrees, rather than the 50 degrees in the cold side. Using straight 120 degree hot water by itself for that is a huge energy waster.

On Nov 24, 12:32pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

And soften the wax seals?????
well the hot water would be in the tank, and most likely cooled down before the next flush. Also, i don't think you'd ever heat the whole toilet up to the point of melting that seal. They take quite a bit of heat to actually run.
And soften the wax seals?????
On Nov 24, 4:56pm, "Steve Barker DLT"

And the hot water would never touch the seal except during the flush.
Harry K

Sooner or later, someone (you may be dead by then) will remove the hoses to replace them, or to replace the washing machine. When they naturally reinstall them to the conventional locations, it will be a problem. Do it correctly. The extra parts are not THAT expensive.
nope. do what works for you.

Steve Barker DLT wrote:

expectation of what they will find too boring. I find driving on the left side of the road whenever I like (in the US) really breaks the monotony and keeps everyone guessing.
George wrote:

You must be the one I see on the wrong side of the double yellow line every day when I go to get my mail.
i do that too sometimes on two lane roads. I also do NOT build my house for the next guy.
steve

Phisherman wrote:

Painting hot faucet handle red and cold handle green should make some future owner who screws up later look pretty stupid.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)