Hot mop roof question

There is a portion of the roof that is "hot mop"? It is a bit soft, can walk on it (not flat roof) and was put in in 1990 by previous owner, feels like asphalt pavement material. Can I rip it out and put on barrel tiled roof? What is under this thing? Plywood or something else?
Thanks,
MC

roofing.crystal.org

says no such website?
MC
On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 14:50:51 -0500, "miamicuse"

Whether you can use barrel tile depends mostly on HOW "not flat" the roof is. If it's not at least 3/12 slope, then probably not.
There could be anything under the asphalt. It could be plywood or MDF, it could be foam insulating board, it could be mulch. Only way to tell is to poke a hole and look.
Poke a hole? and mulch? You kidding me right?
Will this be reflected in the plans if I get plans from the city building department or no?
The roof pitches more than 3/12 slope (I assume by 3/12 you mean rise over run right?)
MC