Hot Mop or Torch Flat Roof?

I have a flat roof with air conditioning duct work on the roof that is leaking near the penetrations. I am going to have the roof torn off and put on a new roof. Should I use torch or hot mop? Can you folks share pros and cons of each. Thanks.

Reply to
Anonymous One

I don't know if this is available in your area but, I had both of my flat roofs covered with fibre glass, this was some 24 years ago, its still in perfect condition. The best thing about fibre glass is that its easy to repair should it ever go wrong. Lots of boats and all sorts of things are made of fibre glass and some have been afloat for 40 years or more. Look it up. Perry

Reply to
PerryOne

Are your AC and heat bill high, look into Foam roofing, up to R 7 "

Reply to
ransley

Membrane roofs are the most frequently used today, very durable, long lasting.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Torch down is vastly superior to hot mop. The difference is the price. Torch down is more costly, but does a better job for a longer period of time.

In the past, the hot mop roof was the best thing going because it could be applied over a large area and could be spot repaired (meaning that if the leak could be located an area of the roof could be redone). The problem is that it dries out and cracks and allows water penetration that is difficult to locate and can cause severe structural damage on wooden roof structures before you know it is leaking. But it was cheap.

Torch down or modified roofing has evolved to the point that it is fairly acceptable in terms of cost and lasts longer than built up roofs. It can be repaired fairly easily. There are many varieties of torch down out there and they vary widely in cost.

For my money, built up is going the way of wooden shingles and torch down is the only option if I am forced to own a flat roof.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Reply to
douglas

The real solution is to never buy or build anything with a flat roof. Flat roof =3D leak

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Add roof trusses and a regular pitched roof, with a little planning the truss area can be used for storage or upgraded insulation:)

Reply to
hallerb

It hasn't been all that many years that the local Grade School was reroofed exactly that way. Couple millions and they figured it would pay back from not havign to re-roof and fight leaks all the time.

Jail is getting its second "gauranteed" not to leak flat roof done again, it was done about 15 years ago. I worked there during it an the same leaks were there afterward. Building was new in 1985 the same year I started work there. Leaked from day one.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K