Hot Dog Saw Tested on Finger

Page 1 of 6

Caught a show called Time Warp on Discovery last night.
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/time-warp/time-warp.html
Had never seen the show before. Couple of guys do extremely high speed video of all kinds of things. 1000fps 10,000fps range.
They had the guy with the Hot Dog Saw. He actually very slowly touched the tip of one of his fingers to the blade for the show. No cuts or blood. He was extremely reserved on his approach to say the least.

I watched a video of how that saw does its thing. Doesn't it just about self destruct to stop in time? How much does it cost to get it back up and running again after one of its "stop" events?
nb

Less than the co-pay for a trip to the ER. The blade is ruined and a new cartridge is in the $60 - $70 range IIRC. They are supposed to be pretty foolproof to prevent accidental trips of the mechanism. There are lots of fingers lost every ear, or worse, on table saws. I'd certainly consider a Saw Stop if I was buying a new one.

Me too. Most people have no idea how truly horrific or expensive hand injuries from power saws can be:
"Power saws may cause severe lacerations and fractures. Nerve, tendon, vascular injury and amputation are possible as well. Fingertip injuries are the most common with the thumb being the most commonly injured digit. An injury sustained from a power saw could quickly and suddenly have devastating consequences. It has been determined that a circular table saw can sever a human forearm 6 centimeters in diameter in just 40 - 60 milliseconds depending upon the feeding power of the saw."
http://www.handctr.com/power_saw_injury_of_the_hand.htm
Losing a thumb on your dominant hand will change the rest of your life. And not for the good.
-- Bobby G.

I was drunk and cut my finger off. Stupid!! I was at work the next day. Quit advocating being a pussy.
nb

You're advocating....being stupid? Tough? Stupid and tough? Or was notbob going for joke and no get laugh?
On 8/11/2010 10:02 AM, notbob wrote:

the way i understand it, the 'brake' mechanism is about $100 plus the price of the blade it ruined. Then there's the labor and down time on the saw. It's a worthless item, no one who uses their saw every day would have one.
--
Steve Barker
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:28:54 -0500, Steve Barker

... Until some weenie at OSHA or CPSC decides you need to have this
30 years ago who would have thought the government would require a dead man's switch on a lawn mower.. I really believe that before I die they will ban sharp knives and pointy scissors
On Aug 11, 12:00pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I am the first to say that it is impossible to outlaw stupidity with legislation, but the SawStop is simply better technology. The price premium will come down, and so will the cost of used saws without the brake. Everybody wins.

<I am the first to say that it is impossible to outlaw stupidity with legislation, but the SawStop is simply better technology. The price premium will come down, and so will the cost of used saws without the brake. Everybody wins.>
You would think, with more than 30,000 injuries and 3,500 amputations per year due to table saws, that a new invention to prevent such accidents would be welcomed. I wonder if it's just a Luddite mentality, an anti-Big Government mentality or just plain foolishness not to want to have a safer tool available. My friend just bought one and the greatest advantage is that his wife doesn't go around with a knot in her stomach anymore when she hears him fire up the blade. His opinion is that $2K is peanuts compared to what a serious saw accident costs.
Of course, if you're a Perfect Pete who's never made a mistake or had an accident in his life, then I guess it's a waste of money . . .
-- Bobby G.
Robert Green wrote:

use. A $500 saw would be a luxury for me, since I don't use it to make money. I'd be a lot more inclined to throw money on an auto-stop saw if it didn't destroy much of the saw in the process, and it was not subject to false trips like the current one apparently is. I grew up in construction, and saw a few bloody accidents over the years. Almost all of them were due to user error, and in hindsight, easily avoidable. The best bang for the buck on safety is TRAINING. I got mine from my father, and the old master carpenters he employed. Someone who has never used power tools, but started watching TOH and decided they want to get into it, well, that is a problem. Short of signing up for courses at a vo-ed center, how can they get trained? Read and understand the manual, like Norm always says on his show? Watch a video? Go to a Saturday demo at the Borg? I dunno. There is no way to completely idiot-proof industrial machines.
--
aem sends...

Robert Green wrote:

Using that logic - cost be damned - your friend should have an ejection seat fitted on his car.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

they are well on that way in england.
wrote Re Re: Hot Dog Saw Tested on Finger:

No wonder why the arabs are kicking our ass.

kicking our ass? where? if it wasn't for mass media hysteria, nobody would give a shit.
More people die on U.S. roads every week than the terrorists have killed in a decade.

Guess again.

I don't know if they are banned by law, but I haven't seen anything but blunt-end scissors in US grade schools in half a century. That's just common sense. As for knives, look at this:
http://www.thebestthings.com/knives/graphics/dm0752.jpg
Not real sure WTF is going on there, but I jes bought Shun's Classic 10" chefs knife, the pointiest sharpest knife on the market. Damned if I didn't nick myself the first time I used it, too! No safety police in that check-out line. ;)
nb
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Uh, lawnmowers DO have a dead-man's switch.

Uh, perceptive readers would have realized that is exactly what the poster was saying.
nb