Hot/Cold valves for Kitchen sink

Hello, all.
I am doing some work under the kitchen sink and I am trying to get it good and dry. I have taken out the disposal, all pipes, the faucet, etc. I turned the water off at the valves (of course) before removing everything, but still get a drip out of them. One is worse than the other. I went and bought caps for them, just so I can get the work done. Squeezes water around the caps, and still drips. Not a lot, mind you, but enough to be exasperating. I guess I could teflon tape as well to really seal it up, but the real question is do these valves need to be replaced? Is this some weird safety feature (nothing surprises me anymore) that keeps whatever from happening or not happening? I mean, over the 9 year life of the house they haven't exactly been worked to death; it's not everyday you turn off the water under the sink.
Ideas? I am obviously not a plummer, but unfortunately not in the position to hire one.
Thanks in advance,
--
Maury French
snipped-for-privacy@HAMNOSPAMcmf-enterprises.com

good
turned
bought
the
exasperating. I

safety
happening or

under
position
If it's compression fittings leaking, you might want to go back and use two wrenches to tighten them down a LOT. They do take more force than many folks expect. You are crushing a metallic object, after all.