Horrible Pool Accidents, Pump Covers

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Who are you addressing? We're discussing gradients at this point, well past the design problem.

Reply to
Clark

I worked in the Gulf of Mexico for Norman Industries and Global Divers from

1974 to 1980. A couple of years sprinkled in there as crane operator for Reading and Bates, and welding for assorted companies.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Once you have your face underwater, it's all pretty much the same.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

The point is, if you have multiple drain paths and /or a vent you are only fighting the water column, not the pump.

Reply to
gfretwell

"SteveB" wrote in news:hfkji.563170$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe16.phx:

Ah, well before me then. I was in the gulf in the early 90's.

Reply to
Clark

Actually after playing in my pool tonight and screwing with the vacuum port I change my vote. You also have to take into account the inertia of all that water in the pipe. The static suction is limited by the head at the vent or other opening but the instant suction while that water is slowing down is much higher than even the pump can create approaching one atmospherre plus the water column. That is the water hammer effect

Reply to
gfretwell