Horrible Pool Accidents, Pump Covers

Page 2 of 2
mm wrote:

Atmospheric pressure in this case is irrelevant.....it was the pump that did the damage. Once her body sealed off the inlet, the pressure would continue to increase unless there was some sort of limiter on the pump or the pump failes. They found her intestines in the pool filter, for gosh sakes!

You made the article sound upsetting and I didn't look at it. But we 've been discussing water pressure and pumps and partial vacuums, and if there were no atmospheric pressure, or if it were low like on some planets, I don't believe the pump would have been able to suck as much, no more than the atmospheric pressure plus the water pressure.
Even some bigger and more massive planets than ours, have, I believe, less atomospheric pressure, because that pressure increases as the mass of the planet inceases, but decreases as the mass of the atmosphere decreases.

Atmospheric pressure is invisible, but it's there.
AFter going to to the trouble to warn me about how depressing the artcile would be, you then had to print some of it below, snippped.

wanna bet 300lb/sq ft
beecrofter wrote:

I'll bet WITH you on that one...
That's why some poor souls have gotten "stuck" onto a pool drain and couldn't generate enough push or lift to get themselfes freed before they drowned.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Because of this problem, where I live places had to replace their pool drain covers with the type where long hair could not get caught, and they couldn't trap people the way that little girl was, either. Why aren't they mandatory everywhere, you'd think the insurance company would have insisted on it.
nancy
Nancy Young wrote:

I know there was an accident similar to the one in Minnesota not long ago...a year or two? Another child, I believe, had their abdoment ruptured and their intesting sucked out. The little girl in Minnesota, afterwards, asked her mom if she would be on the news. She wondered because she didn't want it to happen to anyone else. That is a heroic child...traumatized beyond belief and then thinking of others. I can't imagine how the parents feel. So, I thought readers might take her hopes to heart and make sure it can't happen where they live.