Hornets have a good work ethic

On Monday, my wife discovered that we had a hornet's nest in a tree in our front yard, about the size of a football. Lots of activity. She wanted it gone, so I found in the basement a can of wasp/hornet killer, read the label and went to work. I sprayed it 3-4 times (running after each application). The can said wait 24 hours then remove the nest. Well, my kids were having a good time watching me do this and wanted me to cut down the small branch where the nest was. I got out the ladder and limb cutter, gave it a snip and ran. The hornets were understandably annoyed, but they wasted no time - about 2 minutes after I cut that limb, they had picked out a new spot just up from where I had cut there branch and started on a new nest! I like their enthusiasm.
Mike
P.S. I sprayed the new in-progress nest on Tuesday, will provide a report later on the results.
Mike wrote:

Just put a plastic bag over it and around the branch and cut it.

Best to spray a nest at night when all the bees are inside. You may have gotten them this way anyway.
Mike wrote:

I had one couple years ago on our apple tree in the back yard. After dark I just wrapped the whole thing with small garbage bag, removed it from tree branch. Tied the bag, put it in the garbage can. What kind of spray is not killing them? And you run after? They will chase you then. You are lucky being not stung.

Consider playing a loop of Billy Mays' screaming commercials. They will probably go back to their country of origin.

If you think your hornets are diligent workers, wait until you meet some illegal alien hornets.
mm wrote:

African bees?
HeyBub wrote:

    No, Asian Giant Hornets. Not only larger than American Hornets, but get better grades and have a higher graduation rate. Unfortunately, the African Bees keep looting and burning their hives for some reason.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_giant_hornet
    They also are used to make a tasty, nutritious energy drink (in the black and orange can!) or sushi. Mmmm, great hornet!
    Show them to the little lady; she maybe won't complain about the waterbugs any more.
--
PB
"I suspect you\'re an arrogant little pissant who grew up in the

Hmmm, wonder how it would fare with some good old US-of-A fire ants.
I've found that walking away attracts less attention. You've got my compassion, about the recurring nest.
I've heard of using a shop vac (prop the hose end near the nest) and leave it going for a couple hours. Suck em all in. Though, I'm not sure what I'd do with a shop vac full of hornets. Maybe a double wrap of industrial garbage bag, and couple of layers of duct tape. Put the snufallufakus sarcophagus spectacularous into someone else's trash dumpster. Hasta la vista mutha----erous!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Next time wait til dark, shoot the 2-3 guards hanging outside, then direct the spray in the hole. (I've never had hornets react to a flashlight.)
I always like to have 3-4 cans locked & loaded in case something goes "wrong". -----
- gpsman
gpsman wrote:

I knew somebody that parked his car close to a nest at night so that he could use his headlights to see while he sprayed the nest. After spraying, he said they all came out and went directly for the headlights of the car.

Devils advocate here-- were they going towards the light, the heat, the noise, or the CO? My gut thinks the heat- as a car engine would be the warmest body in range. I've seen ground bees attack a running riding mower when I got off and stood back 20 feet or so to spray the nest I just ran over.
Jim [Neighbor and I were just talking yesterday about the lack of ground bees for the past couple years. . . same fate as honeybees? too much rain? or did we just get them under control?]

It is just the light. They think the sun is coming up and they are just trying to get "outside" by heading toward the light. The trick is to set up the light and approach from the side. Try not to shine it right into the hole so you don't wake them all up. I haven't experimented but it might only be some colors of light that gets their attention. They might ignore fairly low level yellow light.

Well, there's the problem. I've never stopped squirting until they were all dead.
I should have specified I've never had them react to a light -before- I disturbed the nest.
I've crawled as far as 150' through crawlspaces to get to a nest in the farthest corner. -----
- gpsman

they definetely react to light, i got stung one nte checvking things out OUCH!:(