Hornets

Just two months ago I had a reroofing job done including gutters. Apparently at the juncture of the roof and gutter hornets have found a void and have established a nest. Being somewhat protected from direct view the power spray hornet killers have had no effect. With this nest near the back door I'd really like to see them gone.
Any suggestions before I consider calling in the pros?
:) Just two months ago I had a reroofing job done including gutters. :) Apparently at the juncture of the roof and gutter hornets have found a :) void and have established a nest. Being somewhat protected from direct :) view the power spray hornet killers have had no effect. With this nest :) near the back door I'd really like to see them gone. :) :) Any suggestions before I consider calling in the pros? :) Can you determine if they are paper wasps, yellow jackets, or bald faced hornets?
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS
Lar wrote:

Believe they are the paper wasps. Have wiped out others nests in the yard nearby.
:) Lar wrote:
:) > :) Just two months ago I had a reroofing job done including gutters. :) > :) Apparently at the juncture of the roof and gutter hornets have found a :) > :) void and have established a nest. Being somewhat protected from direct :) > :) view the power spray hornet killers have had no effect. With this nest :) > :) near the back door I'd really like to see them gone. :) > :) :) > :) Any suggestions before I consider calling in the pros? :) > :) :) > Can you determine if they are paper wasps, yellow jackets, or bald faced :) > hornets? :) :) Believe they are the paper wasps. Have wiped out others nests in the :) yard nearby. :) Paperwasps
http://arrow-pestcontrol.com/paperwasp.JPG really shouldn't be a bother to you if they are out of the way as you say. Their nest should be small enough that if you had to get on a ladder to treat them you probably would be safe enough. Do it at night. Use the products that is supposed to be an instant knock down for wasps.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS
Lar wrote:

I've used 4 cans so far. Unable to get a direct flow to the nest though. At the entrances they seem to be drinking like tonic water.
Jim wrote:

This may or may not work for you. Last month I had yellow jackets in my soffits. I mounted a 6 inch muffin (high speed) fan (Radio Shack) on a 2X4 and propped it up 6 inches from their entrance. As they flew in and out, they got sucked into the fan and chopped up. Within a day there were none left. I was than able to climb a ladder and give the nest a dose of poison. I used a puffer filled with Drione poison
Jmagerl wrote:

Have you no soul? How could you chop God's insects into little bits?
/I like it //You should have put it on a web cam as well
Jmagerl wrote:

120VAC fan available and mounted it this morning. One thing for sure at the present they definitely aren't happy about it.:)

Some of these bugs will fly to a regular electric bug zapper, too.

the entrance of big underground nests, and let 'er run for an hour or so. Duct tape the end of the hose once you're done, and let the varmints cook in the sun. You still need to poison the nest to kill off the not-quite-ready-to-fly crowd, but it's a lot easier with most of their Combat Air Patrol in the shopvac.
Andy Hill wrote:

Getting access to that nest is proving to be a problem. Tried the muffin fan routine but found enough managed to go around it to where it had limited success.
Today I have your shopvac method in use. Chose the small tip to create a narrow but intense suction zone. Placed with the tip mere inches away from the main entrance all seems well so far. Catching both the arriving and departing critters.
Maybe this time I'll be able to attack the nest itself as you say without the presence of a large Combat Air Patrol.

I've been told to get rid of whole nests, just use a shopvac, and when done, give a few puffs of insectide. Don't open the shopvac, have it on and spray the insecticide into the hose. Then shut it off.
I don't know how serious this is, I never tried it, so best to get help from an experienced person.
later,
tom @ www.carpenter-ant-killer.com

That's awesome! Great idea! In theory, if they all get chopped up, won't the larvae in the nest starve, and then the poison is unnecessary?
A farmer i knew once swore by hosing their nests with gasoline. Dunno bout y'all but spraying your house with volatile fuel doesn't sound good to me. My gf says that soapy water is the best thing for japanese beetle infestations- the soap sticks to their bodies and smothers them. Never tried it on wasps.
You know, it's too bad they like to bite n sting, because wasps are amazing little creatures. Fascinating organic builder robots.
Actually, I don't think they 'like' to sting. I saw a special on Discovery once, that said wasps actually try to warn you first by butting their heads into you. As a victim of many previous stings, this didn't sound right; but I figured, well, liberal hippie tv insect love - whatever.
About 2 weeks later, was going up the stairs to my deck, felt something 'bumping' my legs, looked down - and sure as shit there were the wasps, doing just what the discovery channel said they do. Freaked out, ran inside... but didn't get stung.
Matt wrote:

Damn! I need to get cable so these guys out here can learn to do what they're <supposed> to do and quit stingin' the crap out of me! :)
Just like the da^h^hrn owls that are supposed to take moles, gophers, skunks, ...

Walk carefully when near them.
Jim writes:

Patience. They all die in the fall (in temperate climes). Then you fill the leak.