hormel and the meat industry

Page 2 of 3
Muggles formulated on Friday :

I had to look it up as well. It looks like ground up leftovers, or scrapple with a mess of greens thrown in. I hope it tastes better than it looks.... :/
On 11/20/2015 09:48 PM, Muggles wrote:

It is. I think the Armenians throw in some mint, cinnamon, and stuff so it's a unique flavor. For some historical reason the area where I grew up had quite a few Armenians so the food was around. The girls weren't bad either and none of them had the Kardashian deformities.
On 11/21/2015 7:43 PM, rbowman wrote:

I use a bit of cinnamon when I make my pickled eggs. yummmmmmm!
--
Maggie

On 11/20/2015 10:35 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Now there's truth in advertising. Ain't no egg, ain't no cream.
On Friday, November 20, 2015 at 11:27:48 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:

I don't think they call it "advertising".
As far as I know, there is no hot or dog in a hot dog.
A plastic disk on bearings can't be lazy or be Susan.
On 11/22/2015 06:39 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Never ate at Nathan's did you?
Muggles wrote on 11/19/2015 :

EEEEW! I can't eat let alone smell corned beef and cabbage!

Sucks to be you! ;)
nb
Uncle Monster presented the following explanation :

Yeah...I hate hairy steak!
Meat eating Eagle
Uncle Monster laid this down on his screen :

Haven't you heard? Us Native people are 2 centurie behind the white eye, so we eat our elk raw. :o)
On 11/21/2015 08:06 AM, Eagle wrote:

Us white eyes had that down pat a long time ago:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak_tartare
I had that once at a upscale restaurant where they wheeled out a cart and did the hacking and whacking at the table. A woman at the next table asked what it was and when I explained she turned a little green.
Like the Wiki page says, we used to call the not so hoity-toity version cannibal sandwiches. It's a German thing and if you think Native Americans are primitive you haven't met a hungry kraut. We'll eat anything we can chew. If we can't chew it, we'll boil it for a while and try again.
rbowman has brought this to us :

I like your style.... :D
Uncle Monster formulated on Sunday :

lol Don't let Me kid y'all....I like My Elk cooked. :D
On 11/22/2015 10:41 AM, Eagle wrote:

I can't stand eating meat that isn't cooked well done.
I've never had Elk meat before, but I've had bison. The last meat loaf I made consisted of combining lean ground beef, bison, ground pork, ground dark meat turkey, and breakfast mild italian pork sausage. The bison is VERY lean, too, when it comes to fat content.
--
Maggie

Muggles pretended :

That's the big drawback about tatonka. The meat is VERY lean, so ground it will just fall apart when cooked. Throw in some beef fat and the ground tatonka will hold together and make super burgers. I've never had meatloaf like that. Usually it's 7% ground beef and a roll of sausage with oatmeal and spices. I have to drop My meat portions because I am starting to get sick from eating so much red meat. I have chicken and turkey and a little pork [but very little!] now and My stomach doesn't grumble as much anymore.
BTW....Elk is sweet and deeeeeelicious. :')
On 11/22/2015 11:28 AM, Eagle wrote:

The meatloaf has all lean versions of the ground meat I mentioned, and the meat added to the loaf can be changed depending on what I want to include. I use lean ground beef and the bison for it's lower fat content, and add ground pork and mild italian pork sausage for flavor and its higher fat content. Adding ground chicken or turkey that's lean gives the meat more protein value, and I make sure all the meats are mixed well so when baked you can't tell you're eating any one particular meat. When cooked it has very little fat that cooks out of it.
I add various seasonings to the meat mix: yellow mustard, ketchup, onion (chopped), garlic powder, salt/pepper, chili powder, some italian seasonings(basic, parsley, oregano), Italian bread crumbs, and 1 or 2 fresh eggs(1 egg for a small meatloaf and 2 eggs for a large meatloaf). I combine everything and put plastic gloves on and mix it by hand and add small amounts of bread crumbs mixing thoroughly after each addition, and keep adding the bread crumbs until the mixture binds together and doesn't cling to the mixing bowl.
Then I dump the meatloaf into a glass pan that I've sprayed with some cooking non-stick spray and shape it into an oblong loaf, flatten the top and sides, and then top with a combination of bbq/ketchup sauce and spread over the top and sides. Sprinkle that with just a little bit of chili powder for a touch of added flavor, and bake at 400° for about an hour. About half way through the cooking process I add some water around the edges of the meatloaf to keep the juices from burning because a meatloaf like this had to cook a bit longer because of all the different ground meats in it.
Tags: lgmeatloaf-scallopedtaters
http://i67.tinypic.com/1539pid.jpg
Tags: smmeatloaf-squashcasserole
http://i66.tinypic.com/6i7cdt.jpg
--
Maggie

Muggles wrote :

Thanks! Saved and given to My chef [BG] for future cooking.
On 11/22/2015 09:53 AM, Muggles wrote:

Most animals that work for a living are lean compared to their domestic cousins that stand around all day eating corn. It's well documented that you can starve to death eating rabbits since they're all protein and almost no dietary fat.
On 11/22/2015 1:24 PM, rbowman wrote:

I try not to eliminate all fat from meals because we need some of it in our diet. OTOH, a lot of meat has way too much fat in it, so making a meatloaf with meat that has a lower fat content allows me to make a side dish like scalloped potatoes that has more fat in it.
--
Maggie

On 11/20/2015 11:27 AM, Eagle wrote:

I guess it is an acquired taste!