hormel and the meat industry

Page 1 of 3
http://www.aol.com/article/2015/11/13/graphic-leaked-video-shows-appalling-pig-slaughter/21264675/
dont watch this link if stuff bothers you. they are using a new sped up butchering process where the animals are butcheded while llive and alert.
its the most disquisting thing i have ever watched
On 11/18/2015 8:08 PM, bob haller wrote:

Parts of it looked faked for sensationalism. The veggie people would do things like that. In any case, slaughterhouses are nasty places.
On 11/18/2015 8:31 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Years ago I had a friend who worked at Hormel and he wondered about the little flecks of red in their "hamburger patties".
He eventually found out that that was the meat!
On 11/18/2015 8:47 PM, philo wrote:

[snip]

LOL! Good one. SPAM = Substance Posing As Meat!
For some reason, the Hawaiian populace loves SPAM. They have more varieties of Spam for that market than Baskin-Robbins has flavor.
I have one son-in-law who loves it. I'd puke if I had to dig it out of the can to throw it away!

My parents loved SPAM and forced us kids to eat it on a regular basis. SPAM and cheese sandwiches! Fried SPAM and eggs. yuk! Never touch the stuff, now!
--
Maggie

On 11/18/2015 10:17 PM, Muggles wrote:

We have Spam & eggs every couple of weeks. Fried to a little crisp on the outside.
On 11/18/2015 9:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I haven't had SPAM since I was old enough to buy own groceries. lol
Maybe the taste had improved since I last had some?
--
Maggie

After serious thinking Muggles wrote :

We sometimes use it when we make a mix of au gratin and/or scalloped potatoes. Diced ham is better though.
For long you live and high you fly
On 11/18/2015 09:44 PM, Muggles wrote:

One of my comfort foods is Spam and cabbage. About once a year.
On 11/19/2015 9:28 AM, rbowman wrote:

Change that to corned beef and cabbage and I'm with you!
--
Maggie

On 11/19/2015 08:45 AM, Muggles wrote:

I do that too but the Spam version is a lot faster. Fry up some onions and garlic (the start of any successful recipe) in a Dutch oven, add the cabbage and cubed Spam, cover, and cook until the cabbage is tender.
Unlike many people I do colcannon for St. Pat's Day. Cabbage and potatoes, if they were lucky, where what the Irish really ate after all the beef was shipped to Britain.
On 11/19/2015 9:05 PM, rbowman wrote:

I've been in a cooking mood off and on for a couple of weeks. Meatloaf and scalloped potatoes have been on the menu recently. mmmmmmmm
--
Maggie

On 11/19/2015 08:46 PM, Muggles wrote:

Yeah, meatloaf... I've never been able to perfect the old diner meatloaf experience. I probably can't bring myself to add enough oatmeal, bread crumbs, and sawdust. It's hard to find any of that old diner comfort food anymore. I can come close with the rice pudding and a few other things.

Sounds good. I like rice pudding.
--
Maggie

On Friday, November 20, 2015 at 2:05:19 AM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:

Walking home from our Boy Scout meeting on Friday nights *always* included a stop at the German deli for Rice Pudding and then a stop at the soda shop a few doors down for a Vanilla Egg Cream.
Queens, NY
On 11/20/2015 11:35 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

A childhood memory for me is when my dad brought home Crystal hamburgers by the sack and divided them up between us kids! mmmmmmmm
--
Maggie

On Friday, November 20, 2015 at 12:37:50 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:

Krystal appears to be the southern version of White Castle. 10 - 12 White Castles were the 2AM snack of choice after the bars closed down.
http://smallchickbigdeals.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/whitecastle.jpg
or: http://tinyurl.com/pvjuw88
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/23/ec/36/23ec368a871d40663b3d6accfdda5f95.jpg
or: http://tinyurl.com/ob4wh7q
We can buy 'em frozen by the box now.
On 11/20/2015 7:51 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yes, pretty sure they're the same thing, too.
--
Maggie

On 11/20/2015 10:37 AM, Muggles wrote:

http://hotdogcharlies.com/about-us.html
The hairy arm technique was still used in the 60's before they went to an aluminum tray. 10 cents apiece and the deal was to see how many you could scarf down.
They call it chili sauce but it's not like any chili sauce you've had unless you've been to Charlie's. It's sort of a Greek/Armenian taste like if you scraped the topping off lahmajoun.
On 11/20/2015 10:37 PM, rbowman wrote:

Sounds good. I had to look up what a lahmajoun was, which sounded pretty good, too.
--
Maggie