Horizontal TV Antenna Separation

Page 1 of 2

Rather than split and amplify an HD antenna in my attic, I decided I'll just get an additional one with a dedicated lead.
Any idea how much horizontal separation I would need for an anntena of this type:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Frank McElrath wrote:

Horizontal separation from *what*?
Jon
On 4/4/2010 10:18 AM, Frank McElrath wrote:

problem would be mutual reflections of the received signals between the 2 antennas. That would set up multi-path ("ghost" problems in the days of analog signals) reception in both antennas. The end result would be degraded signal strength for at least some of the stations received. The information to accurately answer the question (and not available) is the reception pattern of both antennas. If both are highly directional, you are likely to have less problems. If either or both of them are multi-directional or omni-directional, you may need more separation to avoid problems.
If you have the room in your attic, I would try to align both antennas parallel to each other, or vertical to each other, rather than 1 in front of the other. Also, the signal loss through an additional 10-20 feet of coax is so minimal that in general, I would try to space the 2 antennas as far apart from each other as room allowed.

Digital does not conform to the old analog standards. You either have a good picture or no picture or sound depending on the tv. There is no ghosting or snow. I doubt if the OP will have problems if the antennas are seperated by a couple feet or as much as practical.
On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 12:26:21 -0400, Jeff The Drunk wrote:
[snip]

That last sentence is true. The one before it is NOT.
You commonly get a picture that goes on and off, or is full of blocks (pixellation), and intermittent audio ("...hi....s....he bes...ict......ur....ver"). That's NOT good picture and sound, and certainly NOT none at all.
[snip]
On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 12:26:21 -0400, Jeff The Drunk wrote:

Why do people keep saying that? It's like they've never actually watched ota tv.
There are various kinds of bad picture. There is picture that goes blank and then good, or half way good, and sound that goes in and out.
If the nearby stations come in well, and even they don't always, then stations a little farther away can give trouble.

[snip]

Too many people have a bad habit of repeating stuff without thinking about it.

[snip]

"..is .ict..e .s .aso..tely ..rfec.!"
Frank McElrath wrote:

Being receiving antenna it's not that critical. Bigger antenna should be behind smaller one pointing to same direction.

Nope!
The one in front may well "shield" the one in back.
Insofar as reasonable they should be next to each other with a line between the two masts being perpendicular to the line to the signal (the TV station antenna).
They should be separate at a minimum by the longest element of either antenna. That's the element furthest away from what the antenna is pointed at. (That's on the order of 4'.) IOW: no part of either antenna should be closer than 4' from the other antenna. If you "do the math" that means you need a space of about 12' side to side to mount the two antennae.
Frankly, you would likely be better served is you just mount the larger antenna and install an antenna amplifier at the antenna and then an amplifying splitter in the house to feed you TVs including splitters added to permit moving the sets about.
John Gilmer wrote:

Ever heard of wide band, high gain LP(log periodic) antenna?

Yes, I have.
But not for TV use.
TV antenna are designed for the "TV bands."
The LP is for broad band use. At higher frequences effectively the "bigger" parts of the antenna aren't in the picture.

Log periodics are a common design for UHF antennas. One popular brand used in the '70s was the "Zig-A-Log".
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p 09386
John Gilmer wrote:

Then you must know how LP array is interlaced. It can act like a reflector. Can't tell until tried. Antenna is still empirically designed starting with a drawing based on theory. Scaled down model antennas, full scale ones out at the testing range. I could never create an antenna based on paper work. Until you try you never know that's why I made that suggestion.
Frank McElrath wrote:

What is a HD antenna?

From Home Depot
ransley wrote:

Nope, it means High Dollar. You get this kewel sticker on the side, so everybody knows.
--
aem sends...

I bet you go to any retailer, and the "salesjerks" are going to lie to everyone and say "you need a Digital antenna for your digital tv" what a scam its been

There is no such thing as a "Digital" antenna.
ransley wrote:

Right, antenna does not know what signal it is carrying. Antenna is designed for gain. B/W and F/B ration based on operating RF.