Horizontal streaks HP LaserJet 3200m scans

Page 2 of 2
On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 23:09:21 -0500, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote:

And scanner problems will only cause streaks in the direction of paper flow in a sheet feed scanner - and then usually due to dirt on the glass rod.
I believe I am the only poster who gave instructions based on determining first if it is a printer or scanner issue.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

We have both asked that question Tony
I can't find the start of this thread, but, the gist is that an HP LaserJet 3200m scans show multiple streaks in what seems to be the direction perpendicular to the movement of the page past the line.
In other words, it appears that entire scan lines are dropped, possibly related to mechanical motion.
If I remember correctly, the original poster has confirmed that the streaks don't appear in a printout made from a file or old scan without the problem. (The test was done to check for the unlikely possibility that a problem on the print side was affecting the scan side.)
My two suggestions are: 1. Determine if the streaks appear when a white page is scanned
2. Determine if a line is being added. (I don't have a good test for this. It would involve determining if something that was supposed to be 10 scan lines apart was 11 scan lines apart, or so such thing. Maybe scanning graph paper with a spacing of 0.1 inches or less would be measurable. Perhaps scanning something with diagonal lines would show a glitch in the diagonal line rather than just a horizontal line across the diagonal line.
3. Try using VueScan from www.hamrick.com instead of the software being used currently. I'm not sure VueScan supports the device since the VueScan description says it supports HP LaserJet 3200 and doesn't specify 3200m, but I think it is worth a try.
Here is part of the earlier thread: On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 08:50:44 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

NOWHERE that I can find has the OP clarified whether the lines show up is simple prints. All I have found was in "copies" and "scans"
A 3200 is not a flatbed - so if there are lines in the scan, they will be from something contaminating the scan head and will run the "length" of the paper - in the direction of motion through the scanner. There is no other scanner failure mode that will produce any other pattern of lines.
If it is a PRINT error, there can be several patterns - with different causes - and generally the same solution.
If the lines are the "lenth" of the paper and present on prints as well as copies, there is a scratch in the drum - usually but not alwats preceded by "spots". If they are the width of the paper and evenly spaced by about the circumference of the drum, there is a defect line across the drum USUALLY this is not as crisp or clean or fine a line as the other possibilities. The solution to both PRINT issues is to replace the drum/cartridge.
The solution tu the scanner problem is a carefull and thorough cleaning of the scanner element (unless someone has scratched it by running a staple through it)

Diagonal line is an excellent idea. Easier to see that two lines aren't in line than to measure.
I had a copier, printerer, scanner that I got out of the trash and I found a broken plastic gear in it. I screwed up and glued it so that it had one empty space about the width of a tooth. Maybe it was smaller but it wouldn't have turned if it weren't close. But it worked and the problem didn't seem to show in the scans I made. I dind't have ink so I didn't print.

Hey this is great. If htey ghave a universal scanner, maybe it's only time before some hero writes a universal printer program/driver.

On 6/27/2016 7:28 PM, Micky wrote:

Very wise comment.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 14:44:36 +0000, Emran M. wrote:

Just curious: is the aspect the same whatever scan quality you select? Scanning speed often changes with resolution.
Cheers!

For clarification You are saying this only happens when you are scanning or copying? And presumably does not happen when you are printing from a computer. If that is right then this is not a problem with the printung mechanism which contains several rollers, but it is a problem with the scanning mechanism (and any rollers in that mechanism are very unlikely to cause this sort of issue). There is only one thing that you can do and that is locate the scanning glass and clean it very carefully, an extremely tiny dot of some contaminant (white out or similar) will cause long sstreaks on the scanner output. If that does not fix it then it looks like an electronic problem to me and that is probably not worth trying to repair. The glass is behind the feed cover. I see someone has directed you to the manual, it will explain how to get at the glass. Window cleaner will do the trick. Tony
Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote:

I just read the rest of this thread, and saw the scan you posted. If that is exactly what the scanner is producing then I have never seen anything like that and it is not caused by contamination on the scanner glass (because you say the lines are not in the direction of paper movement in the scanner). It actually looks like a scan of a photo printed by an inkjet printer that needs the heads cleaning but I am sure you sent the output of the scanner without any further processing didn't you? Tony
"Tony" wrote in message wrote:

I just read the rest of this thread, and saw the scan you posted. If that is exactly what the scanner is producing then I have never seen anything like that and it is not caused by contamination on the scanner glass (because you say the lines are not in the direction of paper movement in the scanner). It actually looks like a scan of a photo printed by an inkjet printer that needs the heads cleaning but I am sure you sent the output of the scanner without any further processing didn't you? Tony Solution simple buy new one
On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 16:20:35 -0500, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote:

If it happens when printing as well as copying you have a drum problem Just replace the drum (the space between the lines will be the circumference of the drum)
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

If it is a printer issue (not the scanning engine) then it MAY be a drum problem but it may also be fuser or one of two other possible rollers. Tony