Hoover Windtunnel for central vac

I've been using a Hoover Windtunnel power head and hose with our central vac. Although it looks like garbage, we had a very expensive Stealth power head from Europe and a Eureka power head and the Hoover is definitely superior on carpeting and has held up over 5 years. The expensive Stealth unit was beautifully engineered and quiet but the bristles were too short to get deep into the carpet and only did a mediocre job of cleaning carpet.

In any case the Hoover is finally dying because the contacts in the handle that accept the plug from the power head are overheating and melting the plastic handle and burning the contacts. The interesting thing is that Hoover was forced to recall a bunch of upright cleaners from similar vintage for a similar problem.

I filed a complaint with the Consumer Product safety commission and Hoover. Hoover gave me the brush off. In the mean time I ordered another Hoover unit but I plan on putting the old one in a closet in case Hoover is ordered to recall these too. If anyone out there has the same unit and has had a problem, it might be a good idea to report it before some of these units from that vintage catch fire as did the uprights.

Reply to
Art

Sounds typical of Hoover. This company is well-known for poor customer support and scored low for employee relations. You might want to contact the state General Attorneys office to file a complaint. I have an 11-amp Panasonic vacuum that is going on 18 years. It has three filters which really helps cut down on dust. The only repairs done was a belt replacement and an attachment holder.

Reply to
Phisherman

I have the same unit, must be about the same vintage, as I'd guess it too is about 5 years old. But no problems here, it's working a OK.

Reply to
trader4

ooverwas forced to recall a bunch of upright cleaners from =A0similar

Hoovergave me the brush off. =A0In the mean time I ordered anotherHoover

I probably have the same unit! It is exactly five years old also.

I have been experiencing problems with the Hoover Windtunnel. I read your message and went and looked at the plug on the power head, the contacts, and the plug on the hose. The plastic around the plug on the hose is melted!!! It also has a burn mark. The plug contacts are rusted looking.

Please let me know more information on this, if you have it.

Thanks!

Reply to
sharynlew

Report the defect here:

It will only take a few to force a recall. They don't like appliances catching fire.

I probably have the same unit! It is exactly five years old also.

I have been experiencing problems with the Hoover Windtunnel. I read your message and went and looked at the plug on the power head, the contacts, and the plug on the hose. The plastic around the plug on the hose is melted!!! It also has a burn mark. The plug contacts are rusted looking.

Please let me know more information on this, if you have it.

Thanks!

Reply to
Art

Just thought I would add that while I filed a complaint on the old Hoover windtunnel central vac kit, I purchased a new one because other than the overheating connector it was the best powerhead I've seen for a central vac. In any case, the new version is even better. Much quieter, better hose. All around improved.

Reply to
Art