Hoover WindTunnel agaitator will not spin

This is a problem with which I have been struggling in this model (U6425-920) since very early after I bought it... The agitator will spin intermittently and some rubber smell will be noticeable.

The brush roll is new (and without any hair within). The flat belt (P/N 38528035) is new. The V belt (P/N 38528034) was replaced about 4 months ago.

The manual says "The V-belt is designed to last for a long time and is not normally replaced".

These are the only replaceble things I can think of.

How do I troubleshoot the problem?

Is it possible that the Flat belt and the V-belt must always be replaced at the same time, to minimize the chance that one is damaging the other?

Any ideas except for throwing out this vacuum cleaner and buying... buying what actually? (nowadays everything is made cheap and unreliable)

Thanks! Sam

Reply to
silenceseeker2003

Ah, I see Hoover only hires the best marketing BSers ;-)

with normal use. The "not normally replaced" in your manual is Hoover hoping you'll only use the vacuum once a month or so (if that).

I just picked up a pack of V-belts today for my mother. She lives in the middle of nowhere and I live in the big city. Several months ago her 25 year old Electrolux died and she asked me to shop around for a vacuum and bring it to her the next time I visited. I go shopping and talk to her a few weeks later - turns out she's driven 60 miles to the nearest Sears and bought this Hoover POS. I knew she was in trouble right then and asked her to take it back, but she wanted to stick with it (stubborn old folk syndrome). Non-stop trouble since then. Belts stretching, belts thrown, burning smells, clogs (on the vacuum, of course, not my mother ;-) Sheesh.

My advice? Buy yourself what I was planning on buying for her - a Riccar 8955 for an upright, or a Miele if you'd like a canister. Either *will* cost more than the Hoover, but they are unlikely to burn your house down or fall on their face every week. When my mother finally tires of this Hoover thing, I'm off for a Riccar.

Good luck!

Reply to
Squirrel

I have a hoover windtunnel powerhead for our central vac. Gets tons of use and has been perfect for several years. Changed belt and bristle roller once during that time.

Reply to
Art

Sounds like a loose belt. If it's close to purchase date when you had problems, contact the manufacturer for guidance.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great