Hoover Steam Vac Repair

I borrowed my mom's Hoover steam vac. She was having trouble with it. I noticed I used it an my floors were so wet they began to smell. For every three or so loads of fresh water/detergent there is only a 1/4 full wast water container.

I assume this thing is not vacuuming up the water once it is on the floor. I partially took it apart. Can really find anythign wrong. Is there a belt in there for the vacuum? The brushes rotate ok.

Can anyone direct me to some troubleshooting advice?

Reply to
stryped

a) make sure that there is not a place for a stair attachment. If there is make sure air is not leaking through where the attachment goes on because of damaged or misplaced fitting.

b) some steam vacs leave water behind them and suck up in front of them. If you just walked forwad with the steam vac nothing would be sucked into the tank.

c) try taking your finger off the trigger and using the steam vac. If the tank still empties the trigger is stuck open.

d) try putting clean water in the dirty water tank only and using it on a dry rug. If water goes somewhere from the dirty water tank you have a leak.

e) take apart what you can and look at the parts. A good visual inspection can solve many of these types of problem if you are careful not to miss anything.

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William.Deans

stryped,

Are you sure you are following the directions. 3-4 containers full of water should clean every carpet in your house. You use the term" floors" rather than carpets in your post. My cleaner is not designed to do floors. I do only recover about 60% of the water I put down but my carpets are not really wet when I'm done and they dry out quickly. If your carpets are soaked rent a wet/dry vac asap to suck the water up before mildew sets in

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel