Hoover Dimension Supreme making loud, high-pictched squeal..

We've got a Hoover Dimension Supreme (model U5227-930) that's making a loud, high-pitched squealing noise. The odd thing is that it only makes the handle is at an angle to the body, and I think also only when it's actually over carpet (not when going over wood floor). The fact that it only squeals when the handle is at an angle leads me to believe that perhaps something inside is pressing against the belt perhaps. I've checked the wheels and clearning rotor from the outside, which all seem fine. Any idea if this can be self-repaired?
Thanks, Jim Witte
Maybe it needs a new belt or something is wrapped around it. Pull out the plug and get a screwdriver and check.