Hooking up a dryer

I need to hookup my Sears/Kenmore dryer but having some problems. Using a multimeter I know the outlet the dryer is plugged in to is providing 220w but when I push the dryer's start button nothing happens. So I need to know if the dryer is not starting because either (a) the start mechanism is broken or (b) the dryer itself is not properly powered but not really sure of the next step.
My dryer has an external ground connector on the back that is currently not attached to anything. Assuming this needs to be connected to ground what are some economical options for this ?
Thanks.
alaric wrote:

The outlet needs to supply 240V Line-to-Line (heater) and also 120V Line-to-Neutral for the motor to run.
Measure them both while trying to start the motor.
Jim
alaric wrote:

Modern dryer outlets should have four connections. Two hots (red and black) one neutral (white) and one green or bare copper. Some older dryers only needed three. I would guess some today may only need three. Likely your dryer needs four.
Unless you are really comfortable working with these things, I suggest you get a professional to change the three connection outlet to a four. Note, this likely will require some new wiring.
You notice I did not give you specific instructions since there are many possible variations on this theme. That is why I suggest you seek out a professional to assure it is done right and safe. Just because everything seems to work does not mean it is safe.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit