Honeywell Thermostats that don't click, but are programmable? (2023 Update)

In my home the AC system uses a Honeywell TH8110U Touch Screen Programmable Thermostat. It works fine, but it making a clicking sound each time it turns on (and off) which is very annoying.

I called Honeywell support for home owners and the support person explained to me that the clicking sound was normal and almost all of their programmable thermostats by Honeywell have that click because of the relay used. He said of those that are programmable that don't have a click are the Honeywell Magic Stat (models T8112, T8132, T8131), but they don't have a touch screen and can't be used to switch between heating and cooling. For now, the heating has its on old analog(?) thermostat, so that isn't a real concern. I guess worse case, next winter I will have the one for the heating replaced if it can't be on the same thermostat as the AC.

Has anyone experiened this clicking problem with the Honeywell programmable thermostats and replaced it with one of these Magic Stat models? If so, did this fix the problem? Also, if anyone is using one of these Magic Stat models does it trully make no click, no noise at all? Thanks!

Reply to
eastcoastguyz

Hi, That sound is coming from tiny micro size PCB mounted relay. In my case our thermostat is away in a hallway from family room. Bedrooms are upstairs, so it does not bother us. Magic 'stat is older amalog stuff which I would not choose.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Id stick with the click!

There are worse models (my Robertshaw t-stats make *2* clicks when running the AC), but the alternative is less quality (I thought I read that lower quality t-stats dont use decent quality relays, which makes the click quieter or inaudible, but also makes the t-stat much lesser quality).

Where is the t-stat located that its bothersome? We have 2 stats in our house, both located in hallways (so the sound even echoes) but we dont find it offensive. Our Robertshaw t-stats click quieter than the Honeywells I used to have, and they are still good thermostats. Maybe you can look into replacing your Honeywell, but Ive heard nothing but good things about the Honeywell touchscreens (Vision Pro, I believe is the model).

-Chris

eastcoastguyz wrote:

Reply to
charry

"If it clicks...you must convict" (with apologies to the late Johnny Cochran).

Reply to
Craven Morehead

The click has to go! It is very annoying. It's right outside my office in the hall and it can be heard through the rest of the house. In my previous house, there was a programmable one installed sold by Radio Shack which wasn't expensive and it made no sound at all.

If the unit turns > Id stick with the click!

Reply to
eastcoastguyz

My Honeywell doesn't click! Maybe you need to switch to a cheaper model, I think mine is $40-50 and last time I check Lowes had about the same model. As far as click from the relay, my thermostat has no relay just solid state components, it uses the one in the furnace/AC. The old non-electronic kind did click because the bimetal spring made the contacts snap together (not a relay tho).

eastcoastguyz wrote:

Reply to
George E. Cawthon