Honeywell Thermostat - HELP! PLEASE! I'm freeeezzzzzing!

I have a Honeywell Chronotherm 3 thermostat (T8602) that is giving me trouble. I use to override the WAKE, SLEEP, etc. settings and use the thermostat manually by pressing the up or down arrows to get to the temp I wanted and then press the hold button. Worked great. Can't do that anymore. When I set it to the temp I want, the furnace will come on for a few minutes and then stop. Then the thermostat makes a clicking noise for about 30 seconds. The batteries are fresh. The thermostat is about 20 years old. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
You may need a new thermostat!!! For temporary heat, assuming there is not a problem with the furnace: Remove the thermostat from the wall leaving the mounting plate. There should be wires on terminals R and W, or possibly RH and W. Remove those two wires and twist them together. The heat should come on and remain on as long as they're together

Probably broke after 20 years. Since you don't use all the features, buy a cheap manual one and be warm.

Try removing the batteris for half an hour or follow the full reset procedure in the manual, or see if there is a reset button you can push with a pen, etc. If that doesn't work, then buy a new one.