Honeywell Q340A 30mV thermocouples

What's their usual lifetime in a furnace? Darn thing chooses Christmas morning to die on me. They never seem to last more than 3 years and this is with the pilot adjusted to minimum.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I've seen thermocouples last for the life of the furnace. Failure could be due to what's in the air mixing with the flame and corroding the thermocouple. What color is the pilot flame? If the thermocouple is cleaned with sandpaper, it may start working again.
TDD

When is my light going to burn out? If you can answer that, I'll answer your question.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Cute... Residential units haven't had pilots for years. ;-)

What is so cute? Many older models are still in existence and heating homes. I know of at least two.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Did it ever occur to you that your heating unit has long passed the time to update it? Its pay me now or pay me later situation. Any Gas fuel system will pay for itself by going with the high efficiency units we have been installing since the 1980's.

Yes, it has occurred to me. I live in New England and use heat quite a bit and my boiler is five days old. You, however, had a bit of a smirk that thermocouple units no longer exist. For better or worse, they do.

Correct, t'couples exist on some new lower end boilers.
The King wrote:

Not on residential.. Perhaps your Union is shirking in teaching you the codes. No wonder private companies are taking all the work.

LOL Don, you're full of more shit than a Christmas turkey.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Not here in residential heat units. You cannot even purchase them. Pilot lite are even being phased out on water heaters. The water heaters that have pilots, have a flame so small that you can barely see it. As for the smirk, you ass... I have been around long enough to convert coal furnaces to fuel gas system. New trailer/mobile/modular homes cannot even have a pilot furnace installed in them and those units are still rated at 80% efficiency. Apparently they all come with electric water heaters also. Evnthe big boiler systems we install for commercial are electronically ignited and have a $thousand worth of safety devices..Low water etc. Also the are capable of calling them on the phone and changing settings or calling you in case of breakdown. Mr Pawlowski, you have a safe, sane and hapy holiday season. Do what is best for your family.
PS Every state has federal money to update heating systems for those that cannot afford to do it on their own. You can get that by calling you State Heat assistance office or the local Community development office. They will also repair your modern unit if required. There is little paperwork for these needs and the service is usually instantaneous. You can also get assistance with Heat bills up to $980 a year depending on weather conditions and area.

OK, you've been around a long time, but that does not mean pilot lights so not exist any more. I know they stopped making them a while back, buy plenty of old boilers and furnaces are still around.
I used to live in Philadelphia. There were tens of thousands of homes with pilot light heaters built in the 1940's to 1980. Some still have those original heaters and still have thermocouples.
Sure, better technology exists, but it will be a couple of more decades before they are gone.

I just spent $60,000 at work to have our two steam boilers updated with controls. O2 sensors, modulating gas valves, etc. I can go to the boiler from my office or my home PC at any time too. OUr gas bill runs about $10,000 a month every months since it is process, not heating.
Last Monday I had a new oil boiler installed in my house. It will take a while to get actual numbers, but I know it is already saving me money as it runs less for the same heat. Big savings on hot water with an indirect system.

Check here to see what is available. http://www.dsireusa.org /
I can get 10 years at 0% interest and a $500 rebate

Nordyne model... M1GB056AAW (pilot model that is still in production... along with many others)
Not all manufactured homes have electric water heaters... most, but not all.

Well, the furnace in question is 30 years old. Home Depot, Lowe's etc. stock these Honeywell thermocouples in abundance so I'm not the only idiot leaving well enough alone.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Water heaters... Can anyone tell me when the last thermocouple furnace was allowed by International code to be installed in a residential home? Also Can you find a furnace at Home Depot or Lowes that has a thermocouple system? How about a legal Garage heater? Can you tell me what year your Government mandated the manufacturers to dump pilot systems and increase efficiency? Can anyone tell me what the fines are.. Or is it a sliding scale of $25,000.00 upward. Is it just a rumor that the finders/Ratfink fee can be as much as $10,000? The original poster had a 3 year old thermocouple go out on a 5 week old residential boiler. What kind of a troll do you think that was. Or is that just another failure of the education system.

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 11:43:04 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com"

Then upon further examination wouldnt it just be a whole lot simpler to change your next one on Thanksgiving 3 yrs from now? Let me lite a pilot, stick it on your ass and see how long you last. Bubba :-)

alt.hvac, no where is there a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. Geez, I forgot.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Don't let the door hit you in the ass.

Keep that pilot flame adjusted to minimum... That way there's just enough heat to keep the Millevolts moving & just enough space for the soot to coat the thing & cause premature failure. Maybe a stronger flame on the thermocouple will extend it's life.?? Maybe buying a spare & testing the operational unit will keep you out of trouble. Maybe a cross ref to a different mfgr??? Sand paper can keep them going, but the first failure/revival won't be the last...
goodluck geothermaljones
p.s. Don hO. Do you have a big call for national & statewide codebooks in SD? Where are you finding them on line? Most state codes are routed through a book store & what's on line doesn't hold water until you purchase (& read) the entire text from the state bookstore or their selected vendor...