Honeybees

They are in a structure I have scheduled for demolition, must be a queen cause there is wax and probly honey too...

Apparently this is a very healthy colony, and realizing the species is kinda in troubles from mites, etc to the point extinction may be occurring in the near future, I just cant find it in myself to killl them off.....

Any ideas on how a person could easily get them to re-locate ???

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

On Mon 30 May 2005 11:54:51p, PrecisionMachinisT wrote in alt.home.repair:

This is not a project for the average DIYer. Call a beekeeper.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Mr. Boatwright has it right. In my area, bee keepers are sometimes willing to remove a colony to relocate. Your impulse to save them is, I think, a good one. Lots of plants depend on bees for pollination. TB

Reply to
tbasc

In most areas you will be able to find a bee keeper more than happy to remove them for you. If you can't find a bee keeper in the phone book check with your local county extension service (different name outside the US)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Contact a beekeeper. They will be happy to relocate them. BTW, some bees are developing an "immunity" of sorts to the varoa mites. I was talking about it with an entymologist at the state fair last year. IIRC, the can detect an infested bee and kill it and remove it from the hive before the whole hive gets them.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

If you were in AZ you would be killing them off before they killed you. Our bees are all Africanized now and *very* agressive if they feel their coloney is threatened. Several people and a lot of pets have been killed.

I had a bee-keeper friend who would take the bees but kill the queen and replace her with a docile type. Around here if there is a public hazard the fire departments will sometimes foam them to death but bee removal is big business now.

If you're not in AZ just wait... these bees are on the move; they started out in Brazil, you'll have them someday.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

I doubt that you will find a beekeeper that will remove them for free. They can order up a new starter colony much cheaper than spending the time removing yours, but give it a try anyway.

Or find a beekeepers store and get the supplies and move them yourself.

I'm afraid that a strong spray pesticide is your only viable solution.

Reply to
JimL

Reply to
W. Wells

Any place of any size will likely have hobbyist beekeepers as well as the pros...contacting the local paper and/or radio/TV might be able to locate one of them.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I certainly would not want to destroy a hive. County extension service is always a good resource for information, and would likely know if anyone in the area will take the hive. If not, an exterminator may know who would want to salvage it. Any orchards nearby? Call one.

Reply to
Norminn

Try calling a bee keeper.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Thanks Oscar, ( and everybody else )...

Just as I had thought, calling in a beekeeper seems to be the overwhelming consensus and I'm pretty sure I have enough irons in the fire already...beekeeping beeing something I would probly lose interest in rather quickly anyways.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Admirable that you at least tried!!! Am noticing fewer and fewer honeybees around Central Ontario. Severe winters seem the problem and then there's mites. Wish you well.

-- Troweller^nospam^@canada.com

Reply to
ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

In article , sligojoe snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says... :) In most areas you will be able to find a bee keeper more than happy to :) remove them for you. If you can't find a bee keeper in the phone book check :) with your local county extension service (different name outside the US) :) :) You would think that would be the case...in 17 years I have yet to have a beekeeper contact a customer to remove bees as a service...the norm is $250 whether they remove the hive or kill it and last year was the first time I heard of one actually removing the hive..it was located in an owl box and all they did was pry it off of the tree it was nailed to and charged my customer $250

Reply to
Lar

You could just paint your ass with honey and wiggle it at them out in the shed and see if they follow you...

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

overwhelming

Hmm...thats an interesting theory at least...

Alas, it seems to me like maybe it would end up being a bit too much of a pain in the ass.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Try this....or is this you : )

bmickey9

Whatever you do don't try to smoke them out. Its the fire risk. Last year a couple of 16 year guys in B.C.tried to smoke out a nest of yellow jackets or bees. A stray spark lit up the eaves and things just went to hell from there. Burned down the whole house.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

The one time I called one, the first I called came right out no change.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Smoke is used to make the honey bees run into the hive and gorge on the honey in the cells. Then they are so full they don't sting you.

Reply to
JimL