Honeybees

They are in a structure I have scheduled for demolition, must be a queen cause there is wax and probly honey too...
Apparently this is a very healthy colony, and realizing the species is kinda in troubles from mites, etc to the point extinction may be occurring in the near future, I just cant find it in myself to killl them off.....
Any ideas on how a person could easily get them to re-locate ???
--
SVL

On Mon 30 May 2005 11:54:51p, PrecisionMachinisT wrote in alt.home.repair:

This is not a project for the average DIYer. Call a beekeeper.
--
Wayne Boatwright **
Mr. Boatwright has it right. In my area, bee keepers are sometimes willing to remove a colony to relocate. Your impulse to save them is, I think, a good one. Lots of plants depend on bees for pollination. TB
PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

In most areas you will be able to find a bee keeper more than happy to remove them for you. If you can't find a bee keeper in the phone book check with your local county extension service (different name outside the US)
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
sligojoe snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says... :) In most areas you will be able to find a bee keeper more than happy to :) remove them for you. If you can't find a bee keeper in the phone book check :) with your local county extension service (different name outside the US) :) :) You would think that would be the case...in 17 years I have yet to have a beekeeper contact a customer to remove bees as a service...the norm is $250 whether they remove the hive or kill it and last year was the first time I heard of one actually removing the hive..it was located in an owl box and all they did was pry it off of the tree it was nailed to and charged my customer $250
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS
Lar wrote:

The one time I called one, the first I called came right out no change.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

Contact a beekeeper. They will be happy to relocate them. BTW, some bees are developing an "immunity" of sorts to the varoa mites. I was talking about it with an entymologist at the state fair last year. IIRC, the can detect an infested bee and kill it and remove it from the hive before the whole hive gets them.
Bob
On Mon, 30 May 2005 23:54:51 -0700, "PrecisionMachinisT"

If you were in AZ you would be killing them off before they killed you. Our bees are all Africanized now and *very* agressive if they feel their coloney is threatened. Several people and a lot of pets have been killed.
I had a bee-keeper friend who would take the bees but kill the queen and replace her with a docile type. Around here if there is a public hazard the fire departments will sometimes foam them to death but bee removal is big business now.
If you're not in AZ just wait... these bees are on the move; they started out in Brazil, you'll have them someday.
On Mon, 30 May 2005 23:54:51 -0700, "PrecisionMachinisT"

I doubt that you will find a beekeeper that will remove them for free. They can order up a new starter colony much cheaper than spending the time removing yours, but give it a try anyway.
Or find a beekeepers store and get the supplies and move them yourself.
I'm afraid that a strong spray pesticide is your only viable solution.

Whatever you do don't try to smoke them out. Its the fire risk. Last year a couple of 16 year guys in B.C.tried to smoke out a nest of yellow jackets or bees. A stray spark lit up the eaves and things just went to hell from there. Burned down the whole house.

Smoke is used to make the honey bees run into the hive and gorge on the honey in the cells. Then they are so full they don't sting you.
In NC we have a law against killing bees. However we call someone in the honey business, people who have bee hives, and see if they want them. Sometimes they will come and get the hive for their business.

Top posting repaired...
"W. Wells" wrote:

Any place of any size will likely have hobbyist beekeepers as well as the pros...contacting the local paper and/or radio/TV might be able to locate one of them.
PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

I certainly would not want to destroy a hive. County extension service is always a good resource for information, and would likely know if anyone in the area will take the hive. If not, an exterminator may know who would want to salvage it. Any orchards nearby? Call one.

Try calling a bee keeper.

occurring
Thanks Oscar, ( and everybody else )...
Just as I had thought, calling in a beekeeper seems to be the overwhelming consensus and I'm pretty sure I have enough irons in the fire already...beekeeping beeing something I would probly lose interest in rather quickly anyways.
--
SVL

Admirable that you at least tried!!! Am noticing fewer and fewer honeybees around Central Ontario. Severe winters seem the problem and then there's mites. Wish you well.
-- Troweller^nospam^@canada.com
Remove the obvious to reply. Experienced and reliable Concrete Finishing and Synthetic Stucco application in the GTA.

queen
is
off.....
rather

You could just paint your ass with honey and wiggle it at them out in the shed and see if they follow you...

is
overwhelming
Hmm...thats an interesting theory at least...
Alas, it seems to me like maybe it would end up being a bit too much of a pain in the ass.
--
SVL

PrecisionMachinisT on 5/31/05 1:54 AM wrote:

Try this....or is this you : )
http://www.wftv.com/news/4551163/detail.html
--
bmickey9