Honey! Where's the mail?

So, fess up, guys. How many of us checked the mailbox, today, and wonder where is the mail?

September 05, Monday, Labor day. Bank and PO are closed.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's easy for me. If "honey" is here, the mail man ain't coming.

Reply to
gfretwell

The U.S. post offices might be closed more often if there is anything to this:

is supposedly on the edge of bankruptcy again.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Some things I've been hearing lately from people familiar with the post office. I wonder what is true and what is flack.

The USPS makes a profit but is always seems to be in financial trouble.

The USPS is totally self funded and gets no money from people taxes.

They are going through some real changes but part of it is to try to get a bunch of high paid older employees that could already retire to do so.

There is Nine Billion dollars surplus already in the retirement fund but all the fuss is about Congress trying to abscond with it to help balance the budget.

IMO, if there really are problems, maybe 44 cents is not enough to get a letter from Florida to Alaska. If they really do operate at a profit then there are things going on the regular public does not see.

-C-

Reply to
Country

-------------------------------------------------- From: "Dean Hoffman"

They could stop Saturday delivery and not bother me. I'm also willing to pay a nickel more for delivery. Much as people bitch, they move a lot of material at reasonable prices.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:j43d1k$fgb$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Our carrier is too lazy to close the lid. Rain and snow ruin the mail. Once I found 2 envelopes of my neighbor's halfway under my car in the driveway. It was weird cuz it looked like they had to been put there on purpose.

Reply to
frag

Having an actual letter in hand is better than reading an email or text message on a cell phone. The letter seems more real. It's the same with books. I guess those Kindle readers are selling like crazy. That's fine. I'll stay behind the curve on those.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Umm, if they have 65 years of pensions, they have a far different problem.

Reply to
krw

The regular substitute on my route seems to be dyslexic, and/or needs new glasses. Lots of mis-delivered mail involving 6,9 or 8 in the house number. At least 2-3 times a month, I am knocking on my neighbor's door to deliver their mail to them, and wondering what didn't get. (I go to the door because most of my neighbors are getting up there in years, and by the time I check my mail at 1700 or so after work, they have already been out to their curbside boxes.)

As bad as USPS is getting, compared to most countries, we still have it pretty good. And their business model was built around the cash cow of junk mail, which between the internet and the crappy economy, has gone WAY down in volume.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers