honda tiller

I have a Honda roto-tiller, model fs100. it is about 6-7 years old and we really haven't used it that much. it is a lightweight tiller that you can lift up with one hand. we have just used it around the garden.

the engine is a 4-cycle and runs great. however, the drive mechanism has apparently gone bad; the tines barely turn.

the dealer says that these Honda tillers did not have very strong gears. apparently a common problem with these tillers. he quoted about $130 for parts-labor would be additional.

I'm somewhat disappointed with Honda-they normally make really good equipment. I hesitate to have the tiller repaired just to have the problem reoccur.

has anyone had this problem, then had it repaired, only to have the tiller fail again?

a friend has the same tiller and the same problem. Honda should recall these.

thanks

Reply to
stevie

I have this tiller or the upgraded fs110 model and it has performed well without any problems so far. I bought the Honda tiller over the Mantis because I thought it was more sturdy. However I was disappointed with a $650 Honda mower which only gave me 3 years of service before falling apart.

Reply to
Phisherman

You must always be on your guard when dealing with repair shops. Not all of them are honest, unfortunaltly. How well do you know these guys? is there another shope where you can get another opinion? If you find a shop with a rep for honesty then you must take your machines to them.

I have a Honda snowblower and it kicks ass! Occasionally though, i have a problem similar to yours. There are four bolts called which are intended to shear or break when the tines encounter an immovable object. This happens several time each season and I always have bolts in my pocket ready to go. Many machines have a similar protective bolt which is usually callled a "shear pin". It possible that your machine has them too. If you do a search on Google for "Honda tiller parts" you will should be able to run down a blow up diagram of every part, nut, and bolt on that machine.

Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence

I bought the Mantis WITH the Honda engine, so far it is a great combination.

Don

Reply to
IGot2P