honda hrr mower

I have to change the oil in my lawnmower, a honda hrr walk behind. They say to tip the lawnmower on its side to remove oil. Has anyone done this, and does it make a major mess? What kind of pan did you use to catch the oil? Thanks Patt
Doesnt it have a drain plug. That it the best way.

Warm up the engine to make the oil flow more easily. Use an auto oil pan to catch the oil. I find it easier to do this on a slope. No mess if you are careful.
I do this regularly. Just use an automotive catch pan and tip the mower a bit in advance to estimate where the fill tube's gonna wind up. Put down some paper (for luck), position the pan, trust yourself and tip the mower. Works fine.
So how is the crud at the bottom of the pan removed if a drain plug is not used, sounds like a honda screw up

Why would you dump through the fill tube. Much easier to use the drain plug. Yes, the Honda does have one.
Harry K

Forgot to add that the clumsy method of draining oil is the only complaint I have on Honda mowers. Why couldn't they have put that plug under the deck for easy draining?
Harry K
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Harry K) wrote in message

it's the easiest way, putting a pan under the deck with the blades there is a pain. i worked in power equipment servicing for years, and that's how we always did it, even on the other brands. when it's on it's side is a good time to pop the blade off and sharpen while the oil drains. Chip
snipped-for-privacy@chipanddebby.com (Chip Stein) wrote in message

You're right. It has been so long since I had anything but a Honda I forgot how awkward it is to remove an under-deck plug unless you have some sort of stand to set it on.
Harry K