Honda GX200 3000 Gasoline Generator Fuel Leak.

Hi
Ive got this generator and use it when we have power cuts. Yesterday we had one so i went to fire it up and smelt petrol. On further inspection is was pouring out at the back of the fuel filter, im presuming this to be the ca rb. It wasnt a drip it was a dribble, maybe 10 ml per minute.
I took the air filter off and there was a significant dribble comping down from the choke inlet manifold.
I turned the fuel switch to off and even though the dribble from the carb s topped the flow of fuel from the choke inlet continued.??
Can anyone advise whats wrong.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Dribbling from the carb inlet is a sign that the fuel inlet valve is stuck open , and from your description that sounds like what tyou've got . If it was stored with fuel in the carb it evaporated , leaving a gummy mess that needs to be cleaned . I have also seen alcohol laced gasoline gel in the bowl , which will cause the same type of problems .
--
Snag

I agree with Terry. After loss of power due to a hurricane, I found that my generator was pumping gas out the exhaust pipe when I tried to start it. It had been stored with some residual fuel in the carburetor that eventually evaporated. The resulting gum glued the float into the open position it was in when shut off.
Some Honda generators have a drain valve on their carburetors. After my experience, I now turn off the fuel supply before shutting down the generator to use up the residual fuel in the carburetor. This may not get all the fuel, so a drain valve would be good to have.
Fred
Fred McKenzie wrote:

I turn the gas valve off and run it til it dies . There's sta-bil in the gas but ... and when I need it , I need it right now , so I usually test run it every month or so .
--
Snag